advertisement

Mains cable for Loudspeakers

Because it still is copper and it is much, much cheaper perhaps?
Last time I looked, twin & earth was solid core whereas most (????) speaker leads are stranded (a guess !). However, the purity of T & E copper is prob. about the lowest . Sure, it works, but unless for long runs into the garden, e.g., why compromise a decent set-up with 2.5 mm2 wiring; apart from which, it's neither 'andsome nor pliable. A bit like NAC A5 in that respect.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I got bog standard mains cable supplied with my new active ATC 50s and also with a previous pair of new Quad 2912's.
I'm pretty sure at those quality and price levels, if a fancy mains cable made a difference, they could accommodate it in the RRP.

I have a good stock of 2.5mm. sq cable that I use when speakers require internal re-wiring and it works very well. It has also been extensively run-in using a fixed voltage at varying loads over a period of several years.

Cynics might suggest that it's just the cores stripped out of the old extension lead I used to use for the lawn mower after its outer insulation cracked and split, but I can assure you it's far more audiophile than that....

I have a good stock of 2.5mm. sq cable that I use when speakers require internal re-wiring and it works very well. It has also been extensively run-in using a fixed voltage at varying loads over a period of several years.

Cynics might suggest that it's just the cores stripped out of the old extension lead I used to use for the lawn mower after its outer insulation cracked and split, but I can assure you it's far more audiophile than that....
Likewise, I've used old iron cables as internal mains distribution cables in a few amp DIY builds and they are great and flexible. Again, beautifully burned in having been used a high current situation.

I've got to ask, why would you even be considering using power cable to connect your speakers with so many speaker cables available?
I believe the reason they were promoting using mains cable was due to it being solid core and it sounded different to multistrand.
Litz cable became popular too for awhile.

You might find your ac mower dosen't get a fixed voltage all the time

;)

Pete

I believe the reason they were promoting using mains cable was due to it being solid core and it sounded different to multistrand.
Litz cable became popular too for awhile.
I don't know who they are, nothing was quoted on your OP. Are you sure all mains cable are solid core? I have two sets of speaker cables here, both solid core. Acoustic Revive Triple C and DNM Reson.

I don't know who they are, nothing was quoted on your OP. Are you sure all mains cable are solid core? I have two sets of speaker cables here, both solid core. Acoustic Revive Triple C and DNM Reson.
I'm talking about twin and earth cables as used in house wiring. I don't think Acoustic Revive Triple C and DNM Reson were available then, but I'm probably wrong. I'm referring to the 70's and 80's.
Some weird stuff going on then! A friend of mine use to use 10mm twin and earth for speaker cable? It sounded OK to me.

I personally used 16 mm welding cable!😁 'joke!'

Ive got 2x1.5mm2 flex on my speakers in my garage system. Sounds fine, have used flex loads of times - its pretty good - copper is copper. I tend to use pro van damme speaker cable everywhere else,, which tbf is like flex....

I'm talking about twin and earth cables as used in house wiring. I don't think Acoustic Revive Triple C and DNM Reson were available then, but I'm probably wrong. I'm referring to the 70's and 80's.
Some weird stuff going on then! A friend of mine use to use 10mm twin and earth for speaker cable? It sounded OK to me.

Welding cable? you should be using pyro instead!

Solid core seems to be better suited to some amps than others. Quite good with a Suggie A21 I seem to remember...

I use 16mm cable its very good.

Pete

advertisement

Back