advertisement

Mains cable for Loudspeakers

Isobarik

pfm Member
Anyone use mains cable to connect to their loudspeakers? I remember people using it instead of the multi stranded cable that was readily available.
Was it just a fad?

Used 2.5mm2 many times in the past for Rogers LS6A and others for garden use. Fine but unsure if it would be good for all installations (depending on amp maybe?) or equal to properly designated cables.

Mains cable will be fine, I would go with 2.5mm2. Another option which I used was to use single core cables, all sorts of sizes available all the way up to really big! Available on a drum in a range of colours for wiring electrical panels etc. I had 2.5mm2 in white, I loosely twisted them together in pairs, just remember to tag the + & - before your twist them, so that you get the polarity right .

I recall that before Naim got into selling branded speaker cables themselves, they recommended using single core cables twisted.

Last edited:
Anyone use mains cable to connect to their loudspeakers? I remember people using it instead of the multi stranded cable that was readily available.
Was it just a fad?
You mean like cutting the ends off an extension cord and stripping the wires right? That’s stranded cable right? When you used the word “instead” it made me think you were talking about something with a solid core.

I’ve used 2,5mm^2 extension cord and it was fine. I remember cutting up an IKEA extension cord when I lived in Spain and used that pretty much the whole time.

You mean like cutting the ends off an extension cord and stripping the wires right? That’s stranded cable right? When you used the word “instead” it made me think you were talking about something with a solid core.

I’ve used 2,5mm^2 extension cord and it was fine. I remember cutting up an IKEA extension cord when I lived in Spain and used that pretty much the whole time.
Thinking more of twin and earth! Sorry to confuse booja30

I know its not quite the same thing but using the bright orange cables used for electric lawn mowers and hedge trimmers is popular amongst guitarists for their speakers because its durable and visible.

2.5 twin and earth solid core worked well for me into 57s until I bought Naim NAC A4 in a completely different flat earth system.

Used flex mains in long runs to keep costs down pretty sure it was used in some old speakers as internal wiring and I would of thought good for
bi-amping

advertisement

Back