advertisement

Mains block confusion? Which is best?

Arthur - Obvious troll? Sorry. I don't understand what that means? Pretty new to this site PFM.

Then if not, my unreserved apologies Ab.

Generally a question regarding mains cables/blocks, followed by a question from the same person regarding the tellurium shyster cable is a good bet fro a wind up. Especially here.

Whilst we're here, can anyone tell me why the shield on shielded cables should only be attached to the 3 pin plug end please? Often wondered.

So my conclusion was actually not to spend £200, but to try a block for £100 with a money back guarantee, so if it makes no difference/ or I don't think its worth it back it goes! And the other £100 I'm spending on some more CDs from amazon. All bases covered! for those interested I went for a missing link supplier 6.

Arthur - I read some where they do that to keep the rfi as far from the equipment as possible (don't know if there's any truth in it). I'm actually in a really good mood today managed to get my Rel strata 2 connected and blended into my set up last night and have to say very pleased. The yamahas are in a pretty big room and further from the back wall than is probably advisable about 2 foot so obviously they're dropping off at about 50hz (I read they're down -3db at 49hz) so got the rel coming in at 52hz and they seem pretty well blended, subs gain is only at 9, 10 o clock maximum anyway.

I've always wanted to hear a pair of those big Yamahas, they seem to have an excellent reputation with some and the opposite with others. It must be a big room to need a sub too!

Yea to me they're awesome, I paid £400 for them 10 years ago, bargain, but use the wrong type of amp with them they can sound dreadful, worst amps I ever had with them was an audiolab 8000q and p and a densen beat 100 was a close second. Imagine to my surprise I bought a musical fidelity b1 from my uncle for £20 and it absolutely trounced both of those think it runs in solid state class a hence the 'magical' sound. my room is about 16 foot by 20 and has high ceilings think we're talking about 14, 15 foot high
ceilings, someone told me you got high ceilings be prepared to lose some bass!

I'm using Adam Audio Compact Actives. Pretty damn good all over.

I also have a pair of AVI Trios that I'm going to use in the second room. Just waiting for John's amps. And the new flat of course. :)

advertisement

Back