advertisement

Mains block confusion? Which is best?

What do people reckon is the best mains block under £200 there is loads to choose between. Mark grant? Mains cables r us? Or the missing link? My gear that this will be connected to is a Naim cdi cd player, Jungson ja88d amp solid state class a hooked together with chord solid interconnects feeding kimber 4tc speaker cables hooked upto Yamaha ns1000m speakers with an isol8 isoplug in my cheap wilkinson mains block. And before I go upsetting anyone I do use 14awg silver mains cables (which were better than RA classic powerkords) Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

Sorry Audio beast, I couldn't resist it, I could hear the scurry of fingers on keyboards.
One can only go of one's personal experience with these things.
Personally I had a typical B&Q type 6 gang on my system and I the HiFi shop lent me a pre-amp to try at home, after listening I said to the shop keeper, it was'nt much better than my current pre-amp and was really a sideways step.
He didn't accept that and he brought a mains block to my house, we tried it on my current pre-amp and it was definitely an improvement.
Then we put the new pre-amp on and the difference was huge, so I bought the pre-amp and the mains block and I certainly don't regret it.
I think you will find many will tell you it's B, rubbish, but whatever! trust your own ears.

regards Al

well you would get more entertainment and musical satisfaction from buying the cd's but if you want a desirable fancy hand made block to go with the other man toys then fill your boots.....

Slightly off topic but you can get a shed load of CDs for £200 these days off the Market sellers on amazon. The last 5 CDs I bought cost me a tenner including delivery very good vfm.

Under £200 the Mark Grant.

The latest Musicworks Reflex Ultra block is £890 but it is very good and may lift the performance of your whole system.

Dear Mr. Audio Beast,

Many well informed life long audiophiles would strongly suggest not believing what someone on the internet tells you, especially when it means that you will part with some of your hard earned money.

I suggest you find someone with a technical background that you trust and ask them what they think of Audiophile mains blocks. Personally, I think they are an embarrassment to this hobby and I would be embarrassed to own one.

Your Pal

Louballoo

I've always had good results with a Grahams Hydra. Well made and gets rid of a load of plugs / sockets and fuses.

James

advertisement

Back