advertisement

Magpies and the positives of negatives.

Pine martens are on a massive up-swing in the UK at the moment. Not predating reds? Maybe something to do with lack of sympatric ranges currently. I can't see any obvious logic to it.

A friend lives into the wilds just outside of Aberdeen - she has both visiting her garden/feeding station - now THAT would be something to sit in an armchair and watch!
Yes, I don’t remember whether a rationale was given and I’ve forgotten it, or just not given. My guess would be that while reds are uncommon, the more prevalent greys would be easier to hunt, so proportionately more greys than reds would go. Which would create room for the red population to increase. Presumably some form of tolerable equilibrium is anticipated. Not sure if, or why, eradication by pine marten was envisaged.

Sounds like distinctly non-lateral thinking - reds, greys, martens.

I have British Wildlife magazine (have had it since launch) and it may be in there, if not it will be online - studies from Scottish marten scats as to what they eat. I can't remember either, but my bet would be on small rodents, and fruit when in season, being their staples.
Martens may be agile and arboreal, but not in the league of a squirrel - sounds like seriously hard work compared to mice, nestling birds, fruit and the like.

The main "glitch" I see is that very few people outside of farming and forestry, in the very broadest of senses, have even the remotest comprehension of what it would involve.
At the very simplest of levels, essentially all of the UK's land is managed and it produces all of the great lanscapes that people like - in the wilder parts, very often due to grazing, especially by sheep. Take away farming, or farming at a level that makes economic sense, and the land will need managing, and that will not be cheap because it will be done by civil servants, and lambing at 2-3-4 in the morning, or ploughing for a 10-12-14 hour day Saturday and Sunday because it is finally dry enough, and suchlike, will come at premium rates, just for instance.

Yes, lots of people who have no involvement appear to have very strong opinions on the subject. Some would have policies enacted that would destroy Highland communities.

Damn, damn, damn, damn, sod it and blast........................

There is a stylised carriage lamp on the corner of my bungalow, under the soffit, to provide light up my drive. Tuesday-Wednesday last week, mostly a hen blackbird built a nest behind it. She started sitting last weekend. She was missing last night and early this morning so I stood on a box to check - empty! Bloody maggies!
Meanwhile, there was a single 8-10 day-old blackbird sat in the middle of the drive - a few days short of being able to do owt but flutter. No doubt their 3 siblings are long gone - but I'll keep an ear and eye open for a few hours yet - maggies originally, maggies and/or cats after the event.

The LLOL bit - large nestlings are keen to be fed and within an hour, the survivor was sitting on my finger gaping to be fed - SO trusting.

The lost nest from behind the lamp will have been a second clutch, hopefully they'll be looking for a new site for attempt 3, very shortly.

Lots of magpies here , jays heard but not spotted.
Magpies very common, usually hanging around fruit trees and oaks, looking for squirrels stash’s.
Two cats with large bells, still get rodents but bird count zero. In this area you need poison free vermin control. Otherwise rats binge on fallen fruit and scraps from neighbours bird feeders.
Several pairs of house martins in barn\garage, I think cats scare off magpies allowing housemartins to nest. That and hole they use is too small for predators.

I don't really like them, as some attacked a blackbird nest in an ivy covered tree in our garden.
However, they do appear to be quite clever. In a previous house, we put some leftover Chinese out for the birds (mostly noodles). A magpie proceeded to excavate various holes in the lawn, filled them with noodles, buried them, then carefully placed a leaf over each position, no doubt for future in reference. He/she was at it for about 15 minutes. Quite fascinating.

I’m always confusing species.
Saw a red chested bird on plum tree and thought that’s a fat Robin, before realising it was a bullfinch.

I’m always confusing species.
Saw a red chested bird on plum tree and thought that’s a fat Robin, before realising it was a bullfinch.

There are quite a few around this year, here. Their "song" always brings a smile to my face, even a laugh, because of what it is - have a search online and you will understand, I hope :)

Just been to bathrooom , while busy a field mouse ran over my foot.
Cats habit of showing off live prey can be disconcerting, forever see them skulking behind stereo. Poor buggers.

Would that be short-tailed or long-tailed?

Short-tailed are really field voles (the UK's very cutest rodent), long-tailed are usually wood mice, but could be yellow-necked.

Well jealous with the swallows BTW.

Woud that be short-tailed or long-tailed?

Short-tailed are really field voles, long-tailed are usually wood mice, but could be yellow-necked.

Well jealous with the swallows BTW.

Swallows - lovely birds - they crap everywhere. Even more so in a good season where they can raise two lots of young..........I am a fully paid up member of the RSPB but they are blocked from entering our outbuildings.

Regards

Richard

Mouse was tiny short tailed, (esp as cat bit off end)we get every rodent you can think of. One of the cats had a mole last week, pleased landlord no end.
Most common are long tailed I think, the bigger ones can get quite feisty. On a good evening I catch and release two or three diff types. Shrews,voles various mice, rats(rats always dead) it’s most frustrating when they hide behind fridge. Or curl up and die in my slipper, very gross.
Last summer one of cats brought a live young rabbit, some how carried it thru cat flap which is 3ft off ground. Rabbit hid under kitchen units for two days before rescued against will.

Yes lots of crap, one or twice they’ve taken a wrong turn as front door under nest and ended up in hallway. Luckily only temporary.
Must see if I can get pic of them poking heads out oh eaves.

Speechless.

100000000kg of droppings could never, ever detract from the joy that they bring.

Vinny - have you ever had to contend with it? When you are storing valuable classic vehicles (or any other vehicles come to that matter), horse food, hay, straw etc. you begin to have a slightly altered view.

There is an old wood shed which they could occupy should they choose.

We are bird friendly here with two peanut feeders, a seed feeder and two large fat blocks. Bread (fresh) is thrown out routinely.

We are not getting another cat based on what they do for small rodents and birds.

We also maintain a 'wild area' behind the wood shed.

Regards

Richard

Short tail - vole - dead cute (pardon pun).
Long tailed- mouse. Wood mice (unlike house mice) can climb their own tails and give you a nip if that is how you handle them.

Voles - cute and chubby, grizzled brownish all over.
Field mice (and yellow-necked) - white bellies, gingery bown, very large eyes and ears.
House mice - grey bellies. Not cute AT ALL.

Vinny - have you ever had to contend with it? When you are storing valuable classic vehicles (or any other vehicles come to that matter), horse food, hay, straw etc. you begin to have a slightly altered view.

There is an old wood shed which they could occupy should they choose.

We are bird friendly here with two peanut feeders, a seed feeder and two large fat blocks. Bread (fresh) is thrown out routinely.

We are not getting another cat based on what they do for small rodents and birds.

We also maintain a 'wild area' behind the wood shed.

Regards

Richard

The joy of having a rapidly decreasing creature set up home with me would win 99.9999999% of the time. Simples :)

That'd not stop the cursing, but then I hope to God that anything in any outbuilding that I had would count for not much in comarison.

As for the compensations....................... in truth, despite what the RSPB might say, are very, very, very far from great. One of the major problems with the RSPB - very, very, very, very seriously ill-educated in anything but fund-rasing.

All of the above, house mice are the ones that get feisty I think. Vast majority are field mice, big eyes, fast.
Voles are cute.

advertisement

Back