advertisement

Magneplaner repairs/parts

Rodrat

pfm Member
I have a pair of Maggiepl 2.5r's and one of the ribbon tweeters is on it's last legs. I have searched for a UK repairer or parts supplier but am coming up with nothing.I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction. For some reason Magnepan do not seem to have an email contact on their website but I doubt they will stock parts for a relatively old speaker.

Mag supply a kit to repair those, which includes a roll of ribbon and other ancillary bits and pieces.

I would have thought the UK importer would be able to supply one.

Magnepan has a phone number on their site and they answer the phone. The factory service department can likely refurbish the speakers. Of course shipping would be a pain. The planar asylum section of the AudioAsylum site has many helpful and knowledgeable members who could be of help.
Good luck

I am in Australia have a pair of MG IIb which are older than yours, I think. One of the HF sections stopped working and removing the cover revealed that the aluminium wire for this section had corroded. I rang MAGNEPAN in the US with my Visa card details and a complete refurbishment kit arrived less than two weeks later.

I also had them send me a pair of current style cloth covers.

I have a pair of Maggiepl 2.5r's and one of the ribbon tweeters is on it's last legs. I have searched for a UK repairer or parts supplier but am coming up with nothing.I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction. For some reason Magnepan do not seem to have an email contact on their website but I doubt they will stock parts for a relatively old speaker.

Magnepan certainly looks after older models; they can:
1. repair the ribbon for you, or
2. send you a ribbon-repair kit, for you to do.

(The local importer should also be able to do this but some are better than others. The Oz importer, for instance, is terrific in this respect.)

The problem with #1 is that you have to remove the ribbon cages from the speakers (get both of them repaired!) and ship them to Magnepan. The way you do this is inside some plumber's plastic piping, with the endcaps taped on. But you may have a problem, with international shipping, if you say what you are shipping is "ribbons" or "speaker components" - the shipping company may ask you to provide a "non dangerous good" certification. (It's a problem about magnetism supposedly affecting aircraft instrumentation.) You will have to get this certificate from Magnepan! :(

So best say "speaker bits". ;)

The problem with #2 is ... it's a bloody fiddly process, getting the corrugated ribbon material precisely located in between the magnets, using blobs of silicon glue. (Much more fiddly, bivalve, than replacing wire-on-mylar.) But I do know some people have done this themselves.

good luck,

Andy

Not that difficult to someone with a DIY bent.

The worst thing about working on Maggies is getting the bloody grilles off, and on again.

They should provide a zipper!

Fortunately, my maggies have been stripped and built into nude custom housings which makes access easy. I have emailed Doug Brady and am awaiting a response. I can ring Magnepan but the lack of email is a bit out of the Ark.

advertisement

Back