advertisement

Magneplanar Speakers

G Barham

Hi

I've had a pair of large Magneplanar MG3As for some time now and as with a lot of them one has developed a slight rattle at high vols.

I know it will only get worse and that the cause is almost certainly the signal wire coming adrift from the mylar diaphram. There are some intersting articles on the net about repairing them with weird and old fashioned glues but does anyone know if any of the very modern glues wold be a substitute or even stuff like 'No-nails' ?

Looking forwards to any info.

Thanks

Tony.

Hi Tony

About 9 months ago I "did" a pair of SMGas with Evo-Stik contact adhesive - a small 30g tube. The labelling on the tube says "Multi-purpose IMPACT instant contact adhesive".

Seems to have worked fine. I more or less follwed Peter Gunn's procedure, however the Evo-stik is not as runny as one would like, so I used a finger to smear it on the panels.

It wasn't ideal for the tweeter wires - I followed the route of smearing a thin layer of glue over the wires & this might result in a loss of top-end performance (I guess you have ribbon tweeters, so no problem there).

A friend subsequently brought some of Peter Gunn's recommended DAP Weldwood - it's a little bottle but since the Evil-stik repair worked fine I haven't even opened it.

Avoid any contact glue that contains latex - in South Africa I coudn't get the local "Genkem" glue to form a thin coating on the back of the panel.

A final note... the pure acetone needed to shift the 3M sticky stuff can be bought from a chemist's shop - you will need to ask the pharmacist as they don't keep it on the shelf.

Mark

Hi Tony

in
A final note... the pure acetone needed to shift the 3M sticky stuff can be bought from a chemist's shop - you will need to ask the pharmacist as they don't keep it on the shelf.

Mark

Or a fibreglass WKSP
Errol

advertisement

Back