advertisement

Magna Audio latest projects

speedysteve1

Here's the latest bespoke projects I been working on recently.

- 12" custom tonearm adaptation

- - Mystery collet / spacers in birch ply as a tester and to be more in an exotic hardwood

I've also got a mid bass horn project underway - gonna be quite big!

Here are the other 3 collets - They are for Turntable plinth cable exits.

I have recently made a highly polished Ebony Armboard and fitting kit for an Ortofon AS-212S arm.
Here it mounted on my test deck.

Here are some more projects made to order that I've been completing;

This time a tonearm board for Jazzbones' Techi but in a different wood than ebony;

Can you guess what it is?

Rough face off and recessed

Dished

Fitted out for Linn arms

(in flash it looks like this - its not that dark)

In warmer light like this

Still final rubbing down and polishing to go.

As for the wood. It's African Blackwood. Slightly more dense than Ebony and harder. Nice grain to it.

One more for BobC of the warm to go under his amazing plinths

and an ongoing bass horn project: 1.2m exponentials that will be fitted out with a 15" bass drivers.
Designed and modelled this to give optimal performance 80Hz to 400Hz. This will be part of a 5 way system.

Once skinned up, a driver chamber will be fitted to the throat, a surround to the mouth and then tested before finishing.

More items

Here's a pair bound for Mike of N.Y USA. Great taste in arms;)

Ortofon AS-212s armbase mounted on ebony turned earlier.

Ortofon RS-212D armbase mounted on African Blackwood armboard I just turned. Lovely wood, antiseptic smell when working / sanding. It does have antiseptic properties, hence being used for Clarinets, oboes, bassoons etc, to combat / disinfect spittle!
No spittle here of course

The pair side by side, to compare African Blackwood on the left, Ebony on the right. As can be seen the blackest area of the African blackwood are very black, but there are more lighter grains and flows than ebony - interestings.

The African blackwood is more dense and harder than ebony. Tougher to sand down for polishing too.

Here's a pair bound for Mike of N.Y USA. Great taste in arms;)

Ortofon AS-212s armbase mounted on ebony turned earlier.

Ortofon RS-212D armbase mounted on African Blackwood armboard I just turned. Antiseptic smell when working. It is indeed antiseptic and disinfectant - hence being used for clarinets, oboes, bassoons etc - to disinfect spittle.

The pair side by side, to compare African Blackwood on the left, Ebony on the right. As can be seen the blackest area of the African blackwood are very black, but there are more lighter grains and flows than ebony - interestings.

The African blackwood is more dense and harder by a bit. Tougher to sand down for polishing.

On to counterweights...

I am now able to offer lovely 303 stainless steel counterweights. Machined to your exact requirements.

Here's a 135g one I've just made for Richard (Gromit)

Please contact me by PM or the web link below if you require counterweights, tonearm boards, cabs, horns etc
See http://fosworld.wix.com/magna-audio
for more info

Here's a slightly different one; for a Fidelity Research FR64s with the superb adjustable on the fly VTA armbase.
Made from solid brass, 20mm thick and 170mm long. 2.3Kgs of brass!

This is the first of two I am making.

Now to finish the 2nd one:)

I can make bespoke armboards for pretty much any deck in most materials
See http://fosworld.wix.com/magna-audio
for more info

Rosewood tonearm tubes - precision made as prototypes for a well known hi-end audio manufacturer. Crafted from a square 200mm blanks.

Spigot ends for arm pivot / headshell attachment and a continuous taper the the headshell end.

Trial fitted the the intended arm pivot tube today and headshell and they looked very cool.

Please contact me if you have a bespoke machining or fabrication need.

Some new product updates:

A pair of Tractrix 550Hz 1.5" throat horns and threaded throat adapters for Vitavox S2's I've crafted.
Painted to match the customers requirement of matt grey.
Made from softwood, as is deemed to sound best for horns of this type:)

Test mounted and playing on my S2's

Also for the same customer a bespoke armboard in ebony for SME arm mounting

I'm happy to discuss any project requirements or ideas you might have.

Here's 4 custom made parts for a mystery turntable prototype

3 threaded feet and 2 volume knobs to match

4 large threaded bobbins

4 Rosewood turned spigots (blank end stock also shown)

4 brass plugs

Please contact me by PM or from my website (link below) if you have a turning or machining need

Here is a dark Ebony armboard and arm fitting - the beautiful Fidelity Research FR64x in place.
This was quite a tricked up (modified) SL-1210 with some very nice bits - bearing, platter, PSU etc. and sounded very nice.

Here's a re-surface job on a damaged turntable spindle bearing face.

Before

After

The bearing face, which sits on a ceramic ball was badly scored and required re-machining and lapping. It also had scratches and nicks on the sides. These were carefully lapped down to maintain the snug bearing fit.

Here's an African Blackwood armboard fitted with the uprated Jelco arm collar.
This one has been stained to be dark similar to Ebony. Matching black domed capheaded bolts and a shortened allen key to enable arm fitting.

You may wonder the difference between African Blackwood and Ebony. Both are hard and dense. African Blackwood is not quite as dark in natural state. It is denser and harder with a tighter / almost no grain its so dense. Due to this it machines and drills very well indeed.

I can't say what acoustic difference there is between them though, as I've never had the opportunity to listen to them back to back on identical equipment.

Here it is mounted (to ensure perfect fitting) on my scruffy test SL-1200 deck.

Here is another Jelco one bound for New Zealand this time.

Darkened African Blackwood. Supplied with fitting kit and instructions.

Here's a slightly difference one.

I'm grafting a 12" Audio Technica arm on to an existing plinth / Thorens 124.
The arm had no arm lift / rest mechanism so I made a polished carrier, to which I have fitted a Jelco lift and rest from a SL-1210.
The arm mounting block that can be seen in the pics is African Blackwood shaped to fit on the back of the plinth as a 2nd arm.

More pics to follow once the plinth is ready - it's having a bit of a refurb and repaint and it will have a new ebony armboard and FR-24 tonearm fitted.

advertisement

Back