advertisement

Magic Ratio?

speakers....different speakers, make the largest change in sound when swapping kit, but that doesn't mean you neglect everything else.
If pure VFM is you aim, and digital only replay, I'd spend 25% on the source, 25% on the amp, 10% on the room and the last 40% on the speakers

speakers....different speakers, make the largest change in sound when swapping kit, but that doesn't mean you neglect everything else.
If pure VFM is you aim, and digital only replay, I'd spend 25% on the source, 25% on the amp, 10% on the room and the last 40% on the speakers

I think that's a reasonable approach. If I were to use it, are there used speakers you'd suggest offhand in the $4-5K USD range? I have a pair of Monitor Audio GX300s which I enjoy very much, and bought for ~$1600 USD.

That's a good budget and pulls in, used, a LOT of really good speakers. In UK terms. about 3500 pounds is maybe 5-7000 new depending on age.
But I can't help. Or anyway, I'm aware that speakers are so different in character, and change in each room, that unless you invite me over for tea ( :) ) then we'll never know your taste in music nor the environment in which they have to work.
Have any hints on:
Room size?
Musical taste?
Aesthetic preferences?
etc?

That's a good budget and pulls in, used, a LOT of really good speakers. In UK terms. about 3500 pounds is maybe 5-7000 new depending on age.
But I can't help. Or anyway, I'm aware that speakers are so different in character, and change in each room, that unless you invite me over for tea ( :) ) then we'll never know your taste in music nor the environment in which they have to work.
Have any hints on:
Room size?
Musical taste?
Aesthetic preferences?
etc?

I would be delighted to invite you for tea! Though please understand as an American, I'd likely prepare it incorrectly . . .

I suspect you're exactly correct re speakers - the MAs seemed like the best way forward, as I needed (interesting word, as my father likes to say!) a speaker that would better load my new space. I'm in a townhouse that is effectively acoustically open to the entire space (about 1500 square feet across three levels), and my old Linn Helix 2 just couldn't do it - and fair enough!

Having only gotten the MAs in February of this year, I'm unlikely to change them for a long time - they work well in the space/system and sound terrific to me. If I were to change, I'd probably look upmarket in the MA line - perhaps for a used pair of Platinum 300s or current demo Gold 300s. I worked in a shop that sold Vandersteen, ProAc, Linn, Naim, Exposure, Conrad-Johnson, Bryston, etc., and now sells D'Agostino, Audio Research, etc., and have a lot of experience with most of the above.

AH. Well as to tea, it's just a question of real tea leaves and boiling water, but I see you have much experience already so.
I like MA's, very under-rated here but excellent all rounders.

The golden ratio for speaker placement methodology advocated by George Cardas works very well with many rectangular speakers in most rectangular rooms, every other supposed Magic Ratio I've come across in hi-fi-land has been varying degrees of hot garbage. Ranging from lukewarm garbage for What Hi-Fi's "spend 10% on cables" up to flaming garbage for Russ Andrews' "spend 90% of budget on cables"!

What speakers work in the room is most important, then amplification that can drive them properly in that room, then spend as little as possible on cables and the rest on a source! When I first moved here, the £50 2nd hand Rega Kytes screwed to the kitchen wall, free Rega amp I saved from my uncle's garbage, and the headphone output on my iPad, with a bit of 72-Strand QED and a Belden 1/8 TRS to RCA I had kicking about; absolutely emasculated the main system in the living room at around 100x the cost, because one worked in the room and the other did not!

I think that price doesn't simply go upwards in direct proportion to sound quality. There's some slack there to allow for a manufacturer to set the price to encourage high sales volumes or, more cynically, to rip the customers off as much as possible for a pretty average sound but relying on the company's reputation to shift them. So these things are pretty broad brush.

Totally agree with this. I'm currently running (out of necessity - my main amp's being fixed) a Creek 4140 that cost me £100 in to some Audio Note An-Es, and it sounds superb. If I was able to give my younger self some advice components-wise it would be to save your money for some decent second hand speakers off eBay instead of box-swapping or cable-swapping to get a better sound.

advertisement

Back