advertisement

Magazine reform

It'll prove difficult, if not impossible, to replace John McGeoch - I'd be interested to find out who they get in to try.
Gary

I do wish bands would stop doing this type of thing. Magazine ended with Murder Magic And The Weather. I shall pay no attention.

Tony.

Ah you old misery guts...The Light Pours Out Of Me... on a stage...in front of you...starting with that metronomic drum beat from John Doyle....then Barry Adamson's bass...then mystery guitarist (Shelley?) ripping out that guitar riff...then Devoto enters stage right in a cloud of dry ice
"Time flies
Time crawls
Like on insect
Up and down the walls"

I'm having that one.

Cheers

Rich

Yeah I would have a bit of that too, just have to keep my fingers crossed that two dates gives them the bug and they come and visit sunny Holland.

Yeah - I'll give you that. But what about another guitarist (Pete Shelley?) having a go at '..Floorboards?' Still think it'll work?
Gary

Ah you old misery guts...The Light Pours Out Of Me... on a stage...in front of you...starting with that metronomic drum beat from John Doyle....then Barry Adamson's bass...then mystery guitarist (Shelley?) ripping out that guitar riff...then Devoto enters stage right in a cloud of dry ice
"Time flies
Time crawls
Like on insect
Up and down the walls"

I'm having that one.

Cheers

Rich

Fair point a lot of McGeoch's work was pretty damn fine and pretty damn technical. I reckon Marr could easy handle it though, not sure about Shelley. What was the guy who came in after McGeoch left?

It'll prove difficult, if not impossible, to replace John McGeoch - I'd be interested to find out who they get in to try.
Gary

Keith Kevine (Pil) could be (technically) up to it.... possbly John McKay (Siouxsie) or Jon Klein (Specimen) that kind of area... I reckon someone like Robin Simon who did the guitars on Ultravox's 3rd LP Systems of Romance also -- McGeogh's was a distinctive sound but it can be done.

Sideshowbob said:
No point without McGeoch, his guitar sound is what made that group.

I'd probably want to keep them in the past though -- and remember then when they were good.

Tony L: that type of thing reminds us how old we in fact are...and that all the fun is behind us

Probably not Hugh. He has a very different style IMO. Anyway he has his own project gaining speed -- Hoover Dam -- with a free (128Kbps MP3) download of the whole LP as well as a CD/Vinyl set for sale. It was recorded simply and sparsely with Liam Watson at Toe Rag studios on good old Analog gear. There's a movie of the record's creation called Blueprint.

So, Nice and retro does it... does it every time....

Lucky enough to see them the first time around - Digbeth Civic Hall in Birmingham May 1980, I remember it well, it was a fantastic gig, supported by Bauhaus. John McGeoch was a wonderful guitarist. Remember being gutted when he left and when they split up.

when the Buzzcocks wrote
"I'm surfing on a wave of Nostalgia for an age yet to come"
How bloody right they were ........

This is one of the few bands I would like to see reform as I still rate Real Life as one of the top 10 albums of all time and recall them playing The Light Pours Out of Me on the OGWT probably followed by a smarmy put down by that knob jockey Bob Harris as he then introduced the title track from a concept album by Yes .
( Apologies for the above long sentence)
All together now :
"I am angry
I am ill
And I'm as ugly as sin"

Cheers

Glenda

advertisement

Back