advertisement

Mad, Bad and Dangerous - Wilko Johnson, John Otway and The Hamsters on tour

RichardH

Bodging pleb
Just reminded my Mike Lacey's mention of using a Wilko Johnson track to demo systems, this bunch of nutters are on tour at the moment - if you've never seen Wilko live, then it's worth going just for that.

More details

What would anyone recommend to a John Otway novice as a way of getting started? Don't know much about him but strikes me he's not the sort of artist to have a Greatest Hits CD out.

Jonathan

Otway sells himself as a glorious failure, and he's not really got much musical talent (certainly on his chosen instruments of guitar and theramin). However, I think he's written some pretty good songs - Josephine, Cheryl's Going Home, Poetry & Jazz amongst them - which veer on the poigniant. His live set is more full of the crowd pleasers rather than this stuff - though "Cheryl's Going Home" makes it regularly - usually delivered from the top of a step ladder.

Go see him live though - your face will ache from grinning all the way through - particularly if there's a decent bunch of Otway regulars in - all the heckles are well known - and expected.

We went to the warm up gig for this tour earlier in the year, which was in Otway's home town of Aylesbury. Witnessed a great heckle I'd not seen before. Otway was doing "Beware of the Flowers", and when he delivered said line, with immaculate timing, a bunch of carnations came flying from the crowd and hit him square in the face.

I see that someone's selling that Greatest Hits collection for £1.85 plus delivery on the Amazon marketplace - got to be worth it!

I got all excited only to find that Hadrian's wall will be keeping them south of the border...

:confused:

Ha-ha! When I contacted Barry Martin to ask why no north-of-border excursion, he replied;

Well, with 3 grand a night expenses and no guarantee of any bugger coming to the show - that concentrated the mind, I can tell ya! We'd love to come, but there just isn't the interest from the venues. Sorry!

Bummer! At least he replied that Kendal would be a good one! I wonder what their rider is...

John Otway's world tour looks like an expensive way to enjoy next march. Here.

RichardH said:
...if you've never seen Wilko live, then it's worth going just for that.

I would second that...

Saw him when he was with Dr Feelgood, Ian Dury and a few times solo.

Never disappointed.

Mark

Otway world tour - I'm wondering whether to go out to the Geneva gig - might try and organise it as a suprise weekend for my wife.

That's one hell of a line up. I like to visit the Half Moon to see The Hamsters and Wilko, they play there often. I love Wilko, he's been playing the same set for about 25 years but for sheer enjoyment he's hard to beat, the perfect pub gig, and the Hamsters do Hendrix better than anyone. I'll take their version of Voodoo Chile over SRV's anyday. Otway is up there with GLC in the genuinely funny stakes, I think I might go.

Well, a tremendous gig on Saturday in Harlow - though I still have my doubts about The Hamsters - a bit too "cold" for me - enjoyed them more when they all came on at the end and did a storming rendition of "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick".

Here's a flavour of what you'll get if you catch one of the other dates...

IMGP1364.jpg

IMGP1369.jpg

IMGP1375.jpg

IMGP1380.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMGP1418.jpg

IMGP1425.jpg

IMGP1434.jpg

IMGP1443.jpg

IMGP1453.jpg

IMGP1454.jpg

IMGP1461.jpg

IMGP1467.jpg

I saw this lot at the Riga in Southend which was near the start of tour.

I have to admit I got bored during Otway but Wilko and the Hamsters were great.

The end of the gig when all three got up and did their stuff together was excellent.

Wilko is great live and anyone who enjoys good music should try and get to see him.

Excellent stuff - Otway cracks me up, I've seen him a few times, but never with a full band.

Tony.

Saw Otway with his "big band" a little while ago, but this is him and Richard (i.e. the usual double act), but then joined by Wilko and/or Hamsters. The look on everyone else's faces on the pic 4th from bottom when Otway's doing his Theramin solo is just great....

The Hamsters are a bit of a conundrum to me. Obviously a lot of people had come specifically to see them, but I just found them a bit "mechanical". Is it because they've spent so many years perfecting playing other people's songs? I noticed the drummer had headphones on - perhaps he uses a click track? Dunno. There's no doubt they're accomplished musicians, and the Hendrix stuff they did (Star Spangled Banner and Watchtower) hit the spot a bit better, as did the ensemble stuff at the end when they seemed to cut loose and have some fun.

We'll be going to see them again in St Albans anyway. My wife's a long term Otway fan (still has her original "Cor baby" badge from 1977), so we have no choice in the matter....

advertisement

Back