advertisement

macOS Monterey (OS 12)

Getting the same failure and message in Terminal - seems I have a bad spaceman
Corruption. Backup anything important on your 4TB drive then use Disk Utility to delete the duff partition. It'll probably expand partition 3. Then shrink the expanded partition to recreate the deleted one. Once that is done reformat the new partition. It can all be done in one go but its safer to do it step by step and check after each one.

If after all that the disk is still stuffed we have to use diskutil eraseDisk but that is for another time once everything has been double, treble and quadruple checked!

TTFN,

DV

I don't think the poster meant that. Up to Mojave it was easy to perform a clone of your internal disk to an external USB disk that you could boot on your own and other machines using CCC or SuperDuper. Then Apple brought in the 'sealed' boot volume architecture into APFS. Therefore any cloning software was denied access and you can only copy the data volume.

However I have made a cloned version of Big Sur onto a USB SSD and have booted it on my 2014 Macbook Air and a friends 2017 Macbook Pro.

Fun No?

DV

So effectively CCC offers nothing over Time Machine? Asking for a friend who is feeling less inclined to update CCC to 6.

CCC does an exact (carbon copy) clone of your drive. You can boot on it straight away.
I used to clone my HD regularly but since Time Machine was made available, I haven’t used it at all.

CCC does an exact (carbon copy) clone of your drive. You can boot on it straight away.
I used to clone my HD regularly but since Time Machine was made available, I haven’t used it at all.

I must have misunderstood, wasn't the advantage that you could boot from a cloned copy and now that isn't possible?

Not sure about CCC, but SuperDuper! now claims to produce bootable backups.

"3.5 is fully compatible with Big Sur and Monterey, the latest releases of macOS, is Apple silicon native, and produces fully bootable HFS+ and APFS backups faster and easier than ever."

I used Carbon Copy when I replaced the HDD in my MBP with an SSD. It basically cloned the contents of one drive to the other and I was ready to go.

I have also used the Terminal dd command recently to re-format the HDD in my iMac from APFS to HFS+. No issues either. And I was able to boot from the external HDD that I used in the process.

So effectively CCC offers nothing over Time Machine? Asking for a friend who is feeling less inclined to update CCC to 6.
I've just spotted this question and from what I have read you are correct. See here https://bombich.com/blog

I believe that CCC and SuperDuper can no longer perform a clone from macOS 11 onwards but they can make a USB bootable 'copy' and thats not the same as a clone. So for the average user TM and Migration Assistant do their job. I haven't yet bothered with playing with either CCC or SD as it is (for me and others) easy to make a real clone thats an exact match of the original internal disk.

Cloning using CCC and SD used to be an easy one step process but now it is two step and guess that a) a copy of the Data Volume is made followed by b) a low-level (ASR) copy of the other 4 synthesised (sealed by Apple) untitled Volumes to make the disk bootable.

However not to knock either of these cloners as I've used them for years and for free.

Cheers,

DV

Took a deep breath and updated my M1 mini to Monterey last night.

All seems well, and I don't see much difference other than the default wallpaper and that Safari is now back to highlighting active tabs properly (IMO) - the last update had me always closing the wrong tab by accident.

And Disk Utility has allowed me to reformat my knackered Time Machine backup so it's usable again. Wasn't expecting that.

Has anyone with Monterey experienced any issues with the screen not waking (or, indeed, any externally connected peripheral)? I get this sometimes with my M1 Mini on Big Sur, and am hoping that it will finally be fixed in Monterey, but not holding my breath either :/

Has anyone with Monterey experienced any issues with the screen not waking (or, indeed, any externally connected peripheral)? I get this sometimes with my M1 Mini on Big Sur, and am hoping that it will finally be fixed in Monterey, but not holding my breath either :/
Not had a problem with my M1 Mini & Dell U3219Q Display

I had this on Big Sur (but after a reboot rather than waking from sleep) and don't know yet if it's gone away with Monterey. I suspect not entirely as after installing and rebooting my second screen somehow became my first, so I had to redo the setup in System Preferences.

I mentioned this upthread - that one fix for the screen loss after reboot is to open the Displays panel of System Preferences and then unplug and replug the screen cable in.

I had this on Big Sur (but after a reboot rather than waking from sleep) and don't know yet if it's gone away with Monterey. I suspect not entirely as after installing and rebooting my second screen somehow became my first, so I had to redo the setup in System Preferences.

I mentioned this upthread - that one fix for the screen loss after reboot is to open the Displays panel of System Preferences and then unplug and replug the screen cable in.
It’s not handy though. I have my Mini M1 under my desk in a special caddy thing, and cables all running up via a sort of conduit into the back of the screen (a 43” Philips 4K). This means that unplugging stuff means getting down on hands and knees in the dusty place, which with my runner’s knees is not always a good thing.

I’ve always got the screen to come back, but often it’s a full restart which is not ideal. That’s only achievable by going underside, as it were…. in an ideal world, it should just wake as it usually does….

OK, I've installed it and we'll see how it goes. 12 hours in, so far so good. Only observation is that it is definitely waking periodically (since I can see the monitor wake). Have to get it to stop doing that, not sure how though? Anyone know?

I was getting this constantly on Big Sur (15’ MBP connected to an LG 27’ 5K via USB-C) but it’s been fine since installing Monterey. Go figure!

OK, I've installed it and we'll see how it goes. 12 hours in, so far so good. Only observation is that it is definitely waking periodically (since I can see the monitor wake). Have to get it to stop doing that, not sure how though? Anyone know?
It’s a Bluetooth thing. You need to de-activate waking on Bluetooth.

advertisement

Back