advertisement

MacOS cd ripper that works (2023)?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey all, I'm struggling to find a MacOS native CD ripper that works. I used to use a tool called Max which seems to have not been updated for around 12 years, and is no longer available. Other things I tried either fell foul of Apple installation rules or simply didn't work. However, I can't be the only person to use a modern Mac and want to rip my CDs to FLAC with reliable metadata. Thanks.

though in fairness you could build a vortex box or similar to achieve this then just turn it off and get it out when you need it. It’s not silly money.

My MACoS is Catalina 10.15.7 and I'm using dbpoweramp

I seem to remember there's a ripping function in iTunes or Music or whatever it's called these days.

IIRC you right click on the app and then click Open it will also give you the Open Anyway option. That’s how I run MakeMKV which also normally yields the unapproved developer message.

These days, with cheap disc space, you might just want to drag and drop the CD contents in a folder (press alt) – what I’ve done for 20 + years actually. Why bother with FLAC ?

IIRC you right click on the app and then click Open it will also give you the Open Anyway option. That’s how I run MakeMKV which also normally yields the unapproved developer message.
Yes, this shortcut adds 'unidentified developer' apps to the 'Open Anyway' list under 'Privacy & Security'.

I started out using Max back on Tiger but soon found XLD to be the best tool for the job. XLD is now a three architecture universal binary meaning anything from Mac OS X 10.4 on PowerPC through to the lastest macOS on ARM64/Apple Silicon (I don't know of any other app that is so cross platform/OS version compatible). The developer, tmkk, even managed to come up with a working ARM64 compatible release ticket without having an Apple Silicon Mac to hand.

Last edited:
+1 for dbPoweramp as well, although I'm running it on an old Mac and it's not the current MacOS version.

These days, with cheap disc space, you might just want to drag and drop the CD contents in a folder (press alt) – what I’ve done for 20 + years actually. Why bother with FLAC ?
Indeed!
Besides on really high end (aka silly price) DACs some of us can hear the difference between FLAC and WAV/AIFF (for dCS users, ir's a bit like forgetting to switch the external clock on).

+1 for dBpoweramp. Works fine with no errors for me. There's the odd disc it won't rip though, normally due to too many errors but I can live with that. For extra tagging duties I use MP3tag - don't be fooled by the name it has tagged every file I've thrown at it ok - both ALAC and FLAC and you can add artwork which dBpoweramp doesn't do.

advertisement

Back