advertisement

Machine Gun Fire From Streamer.

kanwar

pfm Member
I recently purchased a Fiio R7 streamer (love it) and a couple of times when it's sitting idle but still on, there's suddenly rapid machine gun fire like sound blasting out of the speakers. Had to pull the plug to make it stop. Has anyone have an idea what's going on; what am I doing wrong?
Cheers.

With power off, ensure all connections are tight. If it happens again turn the volume right down and try to pin down whether it is the unit or a source. Does it happen through headphones?

But really, recently purchased? You could just send it back but this won't help if there is an issue with your system

I’m 100% certain that’s it the Fiio that’s causing the distortion. I’ve got it going into a Benchmark Dac and I’m only using the streamer output into it via a coax. No, there isn’t a phone near it – the sound is far too loud to be static; the speaker drivers were pumping like mad and I thought they might blow. I think I might have the control knob in the wrong place like PO+Preout. But there’s nothing on Youtube or anywhere else that says this could be the cause…
Thanks epo1 and mark.king.
Still looking; maybe I should send it back...

Could it be relay chatter when it has to change bit rates? My Audio Note DAC does that, and it sounds sort of like rapid fire.

Yeah it sounds like when you are trying to send multi audio of PCM stereo or a bit rate thats to high to be recognised?

This is interesting. So would it be some kind of digital glitch as opposed to a fault with the streamer?

Are you connecting it via coax or usb? If so, try toslink instead. I've had a lack of electrical isolation between streamer and DAC cause this sort of thing.

I'm using coax out into the Benchmark. I've seen a couple of Youtube vids where they say that there is a delay with picture and sound when using toslink, but that's that home theatre jazz; I'm only, at the moment interested in using it as a streamer.
Wish I could get hold of somebody from Fiio....

This is interesting. So would it be some kind of digital glitch as opposed to a fault with the streamer?
Does the FiiO R7 auto-switch its digital source (either the R7 itself or the control app)?

I don't know the R7 but a possible way to trigger what you experience might be some unexpected event changing a digital source from one powered up and sending digital silence to one that's not connected/powered or sending wrong-format data, and looks to the R7 like its supplying random digital noise.

If so that's a possible line of investigation.

advertisement

Back