advertisement

Macca is 80.

Indeed. Even ignoring everything he has done for the last 50 years (and I prefer to) he is a great songwriter, great singer and great musician who rewrote the electric bass-playing book and helped provide the best bits of the soundtrack to my childhood.

I nearly saw him 2 years ago :( front row seats and all.
Sixteen years ago he turned 64.

"Talked to a man who recalled when his mother died taking his dad, who was devastated, for a break after the funeral. A friend lent them his beach house on the south coast. Early in the morning the man was standing on the verandah looking out to sea and thinking about loss and bereavement. A voice said hello and it was the man in the house next door who was looking out to sea from his verandah too. They started talking and it turned out that the neighbour was also a widower. The man asked him if he could spare a moment to talk to his father who was struggling. “That will take more than a moment,” he said, “bring him to tea this afternoon”.
And so it came to pass. They had tea and talked and wept and it was a deeply moving experience for all. At the end his father went to shake hands with his host but he declined and insisted on a hug instead. Lovely.

He was Paul McCartney.

Many happy returns."

https://twitter.com/RevRichardColes/status/1538183466730328065?s=20&t=D4AXogmi1gc2VXBETVCtyw

Mrs said "must've been a posh beach house if Paul McCartney was next door."

^ I love that story.

A couple of years ago a friend bumped into him strolling round Regents Park and he was apparently super friendly and they had a good chat about music. He really does seem like a good egg.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at Glasto next weekend.
I predict he will get a huge reception and massive applause for everything he does, you can bet the farm on it. I would join in if I were there and I’m not even a fan!

advertisement

Back