advertisement

Mac integrateds...

Is this lockdown madness, this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Looks pricy. And unobtainable valves? Those cute eggs look like they’d be a bugger to source in the future.

Looks pricy. And unobtainable valves? Those cute eggs look like they’d be a bugger to source in the future.
If you're talking about the KT150's on the Ayon Triton, Ayon control the quality on those and reputedly have 000's if not 0000's in stock for the future.

No, not cheap, used ones do come up, just be very careful about voltage, needs to be 240V UK sourced rather than 230V grey market from EU.
Doesn't seem like you're that warm to it but you could have a chat with Kevin at Fi Audio in Kilmarnock if looking to put mind at rest on valves etc and he may have a deal for you. Quality is superb and the tech is pleasantly shocking, nothing like what i've experienced with previous valve ownership although I did enjoy a Manley Stingray very much and it was brilliant with Tannoy HPD 385's and later a pair of Merlin VSM's.

Did he buy them new? ... some owners do weird shit to kit. Also IF they were bought new and the fault was genuine, I'd put this down to the UK distributor not doing his job properly.

He ought them brand new from Shadow and got two years of grief. After two years of their latest fantastic engineers failing to fix the problem, his wife was told "What's his problem, he has another one" I told him to take them back and stick them where the sun don't shine. This was after a few pairs on Manley's that kept disintegrating. " Must be his mains" Strange the Meridians worked faultlessly for 20 years in the same house said I.

If you're talking about the KT150's on the Ayon Triton, Ayon control the quality on those and reputedly have 000's if not 0000's in stock for the future.

No, not cheap, used ones do come up, just be very careful about voltage, needs to be 240V UK sourced rather than 230V grey market from EU.
Doesn't seem like you're that warm to it but you could have a chat with Kevin at Fi Audio in Kilmarnock if looking to put mind at rest on valves etc and he may have a deal for you. Quality is superb and the tech is pleasantly shocking, nothing like what i've experienced with previous valve ownership although I did enjoy a Manley Stingray very much and it was brilliant with Tannoy HPD 385's and later a pair of Merlin VSM's.
Yeah, I was talking about the odd-looking KT150s.

I'm not at all against an amp like that, but it's likely well over budget, even s/h. I've set an absolute upper limit to complete my system of around £3000, to include changing my amp and getting my phono stage modded (£300ish). So, in that range was my original - and still - planned RR ST25 (which everyone is generally glowing about but which I've not nor will I have a chance to hear beforehand) or to use that budget for something else. The MA2250 that's local to me is very tempting - it's (by my reckoning) a £7k amp for around a third of the new price, and although perhaps wasn't the last word in value at full new rrp, has got to be a contender at the asking. Then there are a plethora of lesser-known brand options, some of which will be good and some less so. What I'm keen NOT to do is to buy something obscure, that then (for whatever reason) doesn't quite hit the mark - and we know only too well that sometimes the non-hitting of marks is something that is only apparent after living with something for a while. Obscure stuff, even the very good stuff, often takes a helluva hit on price and can take forever to shift on. Trust me: been there, done that. So my criteria is only stuff that's reasonably well-known, easy to sell (McIntosh, some vintage stuff (new or restored), etc.) and well made, just in case. I'm also not ruling out solid-state, but when I look back over amps I've lived with, the valve ones have been the most *musically* satisfying, somehow. And I like the ability to 'roll' small changes into the sound if desired. If I haven't heard of a brand of amp, I'm inclined to steer clear lest I buy into something that's been artificially pumped by people with vested interests. By the way, I am not in the slightest accusing you of this, just saying that in the absence of prior knowledge it is wise to take any recommendation (or contra-recommendation) with a pinch of salt at the very least.

The good thing about my situation is that there's no absolutely compelling reason to buy anything: my current amp is surprisingly good, albeit subject to a very minor hum that I suspect now is just down to some bad layout choices with heater wiring and probably easy to rectify if one were willing to re-route. (You don't notice it at all except between tracks, and even then it's not loud, but it slightly irritates me and is possibly a lot less noticeable with less sensitive speakers.). In any case, it's otherwise the best sound I've ever had, but I sense that my speakers can do a bit more with an upscale amp. And I just want to get the whole thing done, unsub from PFM (or at least fade away) and get back to enjoying what little time I have for music :)

Yeah, I was talking about the odd-looking KT150s.

I'm not at all against an amp like that, but it's likely well over budget, even s/h. I've set an absolute upper limit to complete my system of around £3000, to include changing my amp and getting my phono stage modded (£300ish). So, in that range was my original - and still - planned RR ST25 (which everyone is generally glowing about but which I've not nor will I have a chance to hear beforehand) or to use that budget for something else. The MA2250 that's local to me is very tempting - it's (by my reckoning) a £7k amp for around a third of the new price, and although perhaps wasn't the last word in value at full new rrp, has got to be a contender at the asking. Then there are a plethora of lesser-known brand options, some of which will be good and some less so. What I'm keen NOT to do is to buy something obscure, that then (for whatever reason) doesn't quite hit the mark - and we know only too well that sometimes the non-hitting of marks is something that is only apparent after living with something for a while. Obscure stuff, even the very good stuff, often takes a helluva hit on price and can take forever to shift on. Trust me: been there, done that. So my criteria is only stuff that's reasonably well-known, easy to sell (McIntosh, some vintage stuff (new or restored), etc.) and well made, just in case. I'm also not ruling out solid-state, but when I look back over amps I've lived with, the valve ones have been the most *musically* satisfying, somehow. And I like the ability to 'roll' small changes into the sound if desired. If I haven't heard of a brand of amp, I'm inclined to steer clear lest I buy into something that's been artificially pumped by people with vested interests. By the way, I am not in the slightest accusing you of this, just saying that in the absence of prior knowledge it is wise to take any recommendation (or contra-recommendation) with a pinch of salt at the very least.

The good thing about my situation is that there's no absolutely compelling reason to buy anything: my current amp is surprisingly good, albeit subject to a very minor hum that I suspect now is just down to some bad layout choices with heater wiring and probably easy to rectify if one were willing to re-route. (You don't notice it at all except between tracks, and even then it's not loud, but it slightly irritates me and is possibly a lot less noticeable with less sensitive speakers.). In any case, it's otherwise the best sound I've ever had, but I sense that my speakers can do a bit more with an upscale amp. And I just want to get the whole thing done, unsub from PFM (or at least fade away) and get back to enjoying what little time I have for music :)

Yes, understand completely and a good analysis/breakdown of where many of us can find ourselves. I also, having made many hifi journeys into nooks and crevicies, clinging onto to the idea of ascent, scaling the heights towards hopeful domination over my cravings only to find myself in the perfect place enjoying music and then making some change I did'nt need. 3K in any event is a good budget to make tweaks you don't need but an itch is an itch, may the scratch be healing and final :)

Reactions: JTC
I’ve always loved the look of Macs, they’ve kept the house styling like Audio Research and like the original Volkswagen, you can still see the family likeness in today’s models. The MR78 would look at home hanging below the dash of a 72 Coupe deVille driven by Morticia Adams.
There’s a cracking Mac valve integrated for sale on pfm

Reactions: JTC

advertisement

Back