advertisement

M-DAC right channel no-sound problem

doughead

Hi John,
I tried to post this in the M-DAC thread where another user has the same problem with me but i cant post there as the thread is closed and i can't reach you via pm as your inbox is full.

I have the same "right channel dropoff" problem on my M-DAC - the right channel will periodically fail to output sound, although i checked the display & the graphical sound meter shows 2 bars (representing left & right channels) moving in tune to the music. The fault cannot be rectified by ensuring all cables are tightly secured and my hifi setup is powered off & on. Disconnecting the M-DAC and connecting my CD Player directly to my amp solves the problem so it seems to be a fault in the M-DAC. But the fault will be rectified if i switch it off and play music later. I informed the shop where i bought it and they offered to do a firmware update for me. May I know if this will help? If not do i need to arrange to ship it back to Audiolab for servicing? I bought it in Singapore but am working in Vietnam until end of this year. Grateful for your kind advice, thanks.

Doug

Hi John,
I tried to post this in the M-DAC thread where another user has the same problem with me but i cant post there as the thread is closed and i can't reach you via pm as your inbox is full.

I have the same "right channel dropoff" problem on my M-DAC - the right channel will periodically fail to output sound, although i checked the display & the graphical sound meter shows 2 bars (representing left & right channels) moving in tune to the music. The fault cannot be rectified by ensuring all cables are tightly secured and my hifi setup is powered off & on. Disconnecting the M-DAC and connecting my CD Player directly to my amp solves the problem so it seems to be a fault in the M-DAC. But the fault will be rectified if i switch it off and play music later. I informed the shop where i bought it and they offered to do a firmware update for me. May I know if this will help? If not do i need to arrange to ship it back to Audiolab for servicing? I bought it in Singapore but am working in Vietnam until end of this year. Grateful for your kind advice, thanks.

Doug

Hi Doug

If you press the 'volume' knob when powering on it will display the firmware version.

Pending John's reply, it may be worth trying one of the later firmware updates.

See http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC for details.

I just updated the firmware to the latest 2.2.1 VA.08 but the right channel no sound problem persists :(

Hi Doug

Sorry that didn't work.

Not sure what else to suggest other than the obvious like swapping left/right connections to see/hear if the problem moves or trying different connection leads.

Have you checked the balance control?

Does it work OK via headphones?

Hopefully John and/or others will be along soon with more suggestions.

I just updated the firmware to the latest 2.2.1 VA.08 but the right channel no sound problem persists :(

Can you try with Headphones? If both channels work via Headphones then you have a unit with a sticky Relay issue...

If it is the Relay, there is a chance you can unstick the Relay by cycle the relay by inserting and removing the headphone jack a few times...

Thanks for the tips guys. I just reconnected back the M-DAC to do the test. I tried the headphone test & both channels work but so does the speakers, so I have to re-test it again when speaker output is "right channel no-sound" again later. Anyway, I inserted the headphone jack a few times as suggested too. Fingers crossed!

Hi John,
After several days of smooth operation, today the right channel no-sound problem resurfaced. I tried connecting a headphone as suggested and both L & R channels has sound. Then i tried the "headphone jack insert in & out" method you suggested to unstick the relay but this didn't work, even after trying again. Only switching off the M-DAC for 10-15 minutes did the sound returned on both channels. Grateful for your kind advice, Thanks.

Dough, suggest you return it for servicing or RMA or exchanged.

I had the same issue before on my first unit. The replaced unit worked without any issue so far. Which is how it is supposed to be.

Dough, suggest you return it for servicing or RMA or exchanged.

I had the same issue before on my first unit. The replaced unit worked without any issue so far. Which is how it is supposed to be.

Thanks, yes i think that seems to be the only option now. I've contacted the shop where i bought it and was told to return it (more for servicing than an exchange unless its irrepairable). Thought it'll save me the hassle if it could be remedied thru firmware or DIY methods but i guess not. Thanks.

advertisement

Back