advertisement

Lyra Helikon vs Delos

Pani

pfm Member
This is for my Prefix/Supercap combo. I have heard both these cartridges but in different systems. The Delos on a Rega P9 and Technics SL1200, the Helikon on a LP12/Lingo2/Aro. The Delos definitely sounded like having a bigger macro dynamic range. The Helikon sounded more fluid, but then how much of it is due to LP12/ARO I do not know. Has anyone compared these two cartridges ? I have a good offer on a low mileage Helikon and also a Delos.

Having had a Helikon (and a Clavis), I s'pose you could consider the fact that the Delos superceeded the Helikon, which itself had a long innings. The Delos, by all reports, is about the best v.f.m. of the current range, and should be way ahead of the Helikon, in refinement if nothing else.

I didn't think the Helikon was THAT good, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Delos (but would prefer a Kleos, Titan i etc.etc........:) )

I think your choice is a no-brainer, personally, Pani.

Paskinn, the seller is known to me. He is reliable.

Wise to be cautious. I once got rid of a Benz MC because, after years of faithful use, it was utterly knackered. I sold it for just a few pounds. A month later, I saw it at another dealers shop, advertised as 'barely used.'
I know of 'lightly used' stone-bodied koetsus which were, in truth, cheap retips on very old cartridges. I could go on......only buy from people you really trust. Even dealers can be mislead, it's not always easy for them to check.

I think actually the mistrust around used cartridges can work heavily in your favour as a buyer occasionally.

One of my better buys was a £250 low mileage kontrapunkt b which was sold as a dealer ex dem when it was quite long discontinued. It sounds exactly the same as the one I bought new so I assume it is exactly as described.

I also bought a recently retipped by ESCO ortofon MC20 super for little more than the cost of the retip (came with paperwork in support of the retip).

I've also bought dead cartridges specifically to have retipped/repaired. The Troika I currently use is in that camp and I have another which could be rebuilt if I ever wanted to go down the Linn path again.

Obviously you can be caught though so I'm not bidding on that allegedly 50 hours only MC30 on ebay at the moment on the basis that it seems a bit too good to be true.

advertisement

Back