advertisement

Lyra Dorian retipping

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Dear all,
could anyone suggest me which is the best (and less expensive...) solution for retipping a Lyra Dorian cartridge?

Thank you and best regards.
Mauro

I'd go with HiFi Dave's route; px it. A re-tip etc is likely to cost north of £300, be a longish wait and won't be quite the original Dorian. As far as I can remember, this was an inexpensive cart. anyway (maybe bottom of the range?) and hardly worth refurbishing; unless it had done very few hours and was the consequence of an accident, of course.

To px against that bargain of the Lyra range, the Delos, you'll save 25% (if it's still that). Bit of a no-brainer, to me.

ESCo are fine as long as their Paratrace tip is what you want. I seem to recall that Goldring are good for Lyra repairs.
Does anyone know the minor/major radii of Paratrace compared with Lyra's 2.5um x 75um?

Does anyone know the minor/major radii of Paratrace compared with Lyra's 2.5um x 75um?

It will be different James.

Only Namiki microline and the Lyra specified profiles go that fine on the minor radius. Van den Hul's Type 1S is very fine but I think he reserves those for his own top models.

It's an important consideration and key to the crisp and clean HF from the Lyra cartridges, and for that reason I'd be inclined to PX it for a new Lyra.

Goldring would be the obvious choice, David was the Linn service agent when they did retips and linn carts being Lyra derived...

It will be different James.

Only Namiki microline and the Lyra specified profiles go that fine on the minor radius. Van den Hul's Type 1S is very fine but I think he reserves those for his own top models.

It's an important consideration and key to the crisp and clean HF from the Lyra cartridges, and for that reason I'd be inclined to PX it for a new Lyra.
That's what I suspect, and my inclination too.

advertisement

Back