advertisement

Lyle Mays RIP

blackholesun

peace among worlds
https://www.patmetheny.com/news/full_display.cfm?id=137

R.I.P. Lyle Mays (1953-2020)

It is with great sadness that we have to report the passing of our friend and brother, Lyle Mays (1953-2020). He passed today in Los Angeles after a long battle with a recurring illness, surrounded by loved ones.

Pat Metheny: “Lyle was one of the greatest musicians I have ever known. Across more than 30 years, every moment we shared in music was special. From the first notes we played together, we had an immediate bond. His broad intelligence and musical wisdom informed every aspect of who he was in every way. I will miss him with all my heart.”

Steve Rodby: “I had the great privilege of having Lyle in my life for decades, as an inspiration and as my friend. As anyone who knew him and his music will agree, there will only be one Lyle, and we all will continue to appreciate his soulful brilliance, in so many ways.”

His beloved niece, Aubrey Johnson: “Lyle was a brilliant musician and person, and a genius in every sense of the word. He was my dear uncle, mentor, and friend and words cannot express the depth of my grief.”

At this time, there are no details regarding a memorial service. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions be made to the Caltech Fund.

Another sad loss at too young an age. I'm going to be playing some of his stuff today starting with Joni Mitchell's 'Shadows and Light' which is never far from the turntable.

Oh no such terrible news.
Had his first album on this weekend gone, fantastic musician and such an important part of PMG.
Lyle Mays RIP

Street Dreams has been a perennial favourite of mine for decades, this is a sad loss. The whole of that LP is contemporary jazz gold. I cannot imagine how his liquid playing inside and around Pat Metheny Group live can be done by another. The world changes a little bit today, and not for the better.

Another sad loss at too young an age. I'm going to be playing some of his stuff today starting with Joni Mitchell's 'Shadows and Light' which is never far from the turntable.

Great album.
Love 'American Garage' and 'Witchita' with the PMG. A very sad loss.

He gets accused of having a tendency to create over-sugary melodies and harmonies which is a valid point, but Metheny stuck with him for so long that he must have been doing something right.

My favourite track of PMG is "James" from "Offramp" which he and Pat wrote and that vinyl will definitely be spinning tonight

Oh no, really sad news. Will give ‘Travels’ a spin later, one of my favourite albums.

RIP Lyle

How very sad, I had no idea he was ill. I have loads of Metheny Band stuff from that era. 'As Falls Wichita' will be played here in his memory accompanied with a raised glass of red, RIP Lyle.

Very sad news RIP.
I saw The PM Group in NYC at Radio City Music Hall in the late 80's. Stunning show in a beautiful venue.
I'm listening to First Circle as I recall they started that show by marching down the aisles towards the stage while playing Forward March
on marching band instruments. A real crowd pleaser.

Street Dreams has been a perennial favourite of mine for decades, this is a sad loss. The whole of that LP is contemporary jazz gold. I cannot imagine how his liquid playing inside and around Pat Metheny Group live can be done by another. The world changes a little bit today, and not for the better.

Very sad. I played Street Dreams earlier tonight and just found out the news. It is a terrific album, and Fictionary is an outstanding album also. Another great artist gone.

I gave his first solo album a spin today and need to get a copy of 'Street Dreams' on CD.

His finest moment though, IMHO, is the album with Pat and Naná Vasconcelos 'As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls'. An essential ECM album.

advertisement

Back