advertisement

Luxman L505u

ampman

pfm Member
Anyone heard?

Am thinking of getting one, to replace my Leben cs300x, which I love, but need more power.

Will be with Harbeth C7es3.

Hi, I've had the combination of L505u and C7es3 for around a year and love it.

In comparison to your current amplifier, I expect you´ll find the L505u better overall. It's very listenable and excellent in features. The phono pre, for example, performs really well. Build quality is top-notch. Power is plenty for the Harbeths. However, with certain material, you might miss that tiny bit of valve magic, whatever it is. Leben has it's virtues, but as you state, the Harbeths might benefit from a couple of extra watts.

The Lux is definitely worth a listen if there is a dealer nearby.

tto,

I am getting it in the morning (Japan here) and am excited.

Yes the Leben is great, I was loathe to move, but quite a big room here now, and so if a powerful amp like this doesn't do it I will have to change speakers.

It looks like a beast.

The Luxman 505u is cheap in Japan especially used. I once contemplated of getting a used 505u from an audio store in Japan after a Japanese friend provided the link but the guys can't communicate in English, so I ditched the idea. Ended up with Naim amps(on Harbeth) instead.

Do post your impressions on the L505u vs the CS300x once you've got it running.

That Luxman certainly is a monster - I never realized from looking at trade pictures. Interested to see the way you've got the C7's set up - very wide apart and heavily toed in. My positioning is completely different - close together, firing down from short wall, not too much toe in. How do you find the mid-range focus?

Well, after a day or so, I'm mightily impressed.

Conclusion : Horses for courses. The system needed power.

I think it might be better to compare this amp to the Leben CS600 rather than the CS300x, such is the power difference. Unfortunately used CS600s are hard to come by.

The system certainly has a lot more presence now and there is much more wham, and previously unnoticed bass keeps appearing. A while since I heard speakers growl like that.

It has done the trick. Passed the foot-tapping test with flying colours.

The sound is ever so slightly harder than the Leben, but the Luxman has yet to offend. No nastiness. It's a very relaxed presentation, partly the CEC player no doubt. It is more of an all rounder with different types of music. Vocals are stronger, though as previously mentioned just a tiny bit harder. The top end seems more extended and orchestral passages are really uplifting. The definition is slightly better too.

And the power meters are great!

However the Leben/Harbeths sounded tremendous in my old place in a smaller room with a rear wall behind the listening seat.

I tried a film through the ps3 and the sound was excellent! The image sharper than with the Leben.

I am going to get some sensibly priced xlr cables to connect the cd player to the amp. Hopefully they will make it sound even better.

It's a keeper.

Ampman, your system looks fantastic, especially the L-505u. The setting up of your system in the room looks almost similar to mine - speakers are placed out from the room and have considerable toe-in. With a room of that size, the Luxman will surely perform better than the Leben CS300X even when listening at moderate volume levels.

The L-505u looks fantastic with its blue meters and yes, it looks bloody massive.

Enjoy~

Ampman, your system looks fantastic, especially the L-505u. The setting up of your system in the room looks almost similar to mine - speakers are placed out from the room and have considerable toe-in. With a room of that size, the Luxman will surely perform better than the Leben CS300X even when listening at moderate volume levels.

The L-505u looks fantastic with its blue meters and yes, it looks bloody massive.

Enjoy~

Would be nice to see a pic of your system ryder.

It definitely performs better than the Leben in this room. I think I need a few softer furnishings and things in to make the acoustics better though.

I posted the set up measurements (approx) on your other thread.

I had a L505u for a while, nice amplifiers and went very well with my P3s. But for the money I don't think it would sound any better than anything Sugden make. I only bought it for the V.U meters but you get bored of them after a day or two. Still a great match for the little Harbeths but then so are most amps including Leben.

my goodness, i am looking for that wooden stand for my SHL5. how did you get it.. please share with me

Timeout,

It's a stand made in Japan. It is very light, yet sturdy. I can pick one up with my little finger. Unfortunately expensive. The badge comes with it as well as some resonance reducers to put between speaker and stand

http://joshinweb.jp/audio/9917/2098772365555.html

If you are serious and need some help, more info, let me know.

Ampman

Ampman,

Placement options in a small dedicated room are a lot more critical than in a larger space. Even a small shift will produce a noticeable effect - the wall boundaries are crucial in shaping the sound. In a larger area especially with the absence of side wall reinforcement, placement of speakers becomes less critical. This is what I have experienced anyway.

Picture below shows the overall view of the system.

DSCN1315.jpg

Diffuser panels on the side walls. A mandatory treatment only in a dedicated room when the speakers are very close to the side walls.

DSCN1313.jpg

Ampman,

Placement options in a small dedicated room are a lot more critical than in a larger space. Even a small shift will produce a noticeable effect - the wall boundaries are crucial in shaping the sound. In a larger area especially with the absence of side wall reinforcement, placement of speakers becomes less critical. This is what I have experienced anyway.

Picture below shows the overall view of the system.

DSCN1315.jpg

Diffuser panels on the side walls. A mandatory treatment only in a dedicated room when the speakers are very close to the side walls.

DSCN1313.jpg

Looks very nice Ryder.

What is that thing on top of the stack?

advertisement

Back