advertisement

Luxman Class A to Hegel Class A/B

Not heard the Luxman but have the H390.

- It's an well implemented AKM DAC with a fairly typical DS chip sound. If you don't mind that sound you may find it plenty enough DAC. Wasn't for me. Preferred the more "analogue" sound of an external Mersaon (BurrBrown) DAC. I'd imagine it would a big step down from your DAC.

- Seems a bit of marmite amp, some people say it's "boring". It's less lively than the excellent Rega Aethos I had but for me that's a benefit. This is an amp you can listen to for hours on end with zero fatigue. Tons of grip on the woofers, lots of detail yet with a smoothness and dash of warmth. Makes for a fantastic pairing with lively or neutral speakers. Not tried it with warmer speakers...

- There's a YouTube channel called InCarstudio or something and he loves the Hegel range and said it pairs with pretty much anything apart from... the Q Acoustics Concept 300 he had. Of course, just one man's view.

- I had a Lyngdorf with the smaller Concept 30s. Paired nicely, I could see a lot of people liking that combo, tidy set-up. For me I found myself wanting a little more midrange meat.

I suspect you'll have to choose your poison... take a hit on SQ for less clutter or spend a quite a bit more than a H390 to match your Luxman/Aqua La Scala combo. Depends on your priorities, unless you can find something cheaper that just has excellent synergy with your Qs which might be a possibility.

Hope that helps.

I need more boxes

IMG-5682.jpg

I went the other way.

Hegel 390 to separates similar to yours.

Added the La Scala DAC, big jump.
Added a G2, more ‘hash’ gone.
Switched to Conrad Johnson 350 power amp and seperate pre, easily discerned more accomplished sound.

Takes up more space, but much more enjoyable.

Need to try some mullards in the Aqua and the HG PS in the G2!

Don't bother.
I was running a Lector CDP7TL, Bardo/12" Enterprise 4/Koetsu RSP/Innuos ZeniTH/Pimped Black Ice DSD > MFA Baby Ref/GamuT D200 > ML Summits and had similar thoughts. About 5 months ago I did a major de-investment, (excluding the ZeniTH & BI) it didn't last long.
I was running a 401/Jelco 750D/Cadenza Blue/ 6000CDT/> Icon Audio ST40 Mk4 SE > SF Toy Towers.
The C Blue is now a Per Winfield Ti (+ an Umami Red), the SFs now 2 way Heco Direkts and the ST40 has become a MastersounD Compact 845.
By down-grading/de-investing, all you will achieve is weeks of anguish and longing for the level of SQ you had. If its not a financial necessity to get yourself out of a hole, LEAVE WELL ALONE.
Well said that man!

Is it the 507Z? The new 507Z and 509Z are said to be outstanding.
I have the Luxman 507Z, which I think is superb. I have it paired with Cary Audio DMS-650 Streamer/ DAC. Speakers are Audio Physic Tempo 35, but I’m currently evaluating Raidho X2T and Focal Sopra 2. My room is only 4m x 3m so I have to choose speakers carefully.

590AXII is my endgame. Very good amp.
Hi Ryder, are you still running the Martens with your 590? Still satisfied with the SQ? My 590 started off well, but after 6 months or so the bass response became overwhelming on the Focal Sopra 1s. In your opinion and experience with the 590, would you describe it as neutral? I definitely wouldn't! Thanks.

Hi Ryder, are you still running the Martens with your 590? Still satisfied with the SQ? My 590 started off well, but after 6 months or so the bass response became overwhelming on the Focal Sopra 1s. In your opinion and experience with the 590, would you describe it as neutral? I definitely wouldn't! Thanks.

Hi Tom, I'm still running the Martens with the 590AXII and am still satisfied with the sound quality. The combination is surely better than the Naim 282/250DR as the Luxman sounds more polished and refined in comparison with better bass definition. It's surprising to hear about your experience since the 590AXII is not known to have an overwhelming bass. The bass is more toward clean, lean and defined as opposed to Naim's full and heavy bass with a slight midbass lift causing a loss of definition and detail (NAP 250DR). I would regard the Luxman as close to neutral with a slight "sweetness" to the sound.

Are your Focal Sopra 1s and Luxman L-590AXII fully run-in? It's surprising the sound quality went from decent to worse within 6 months as it should be the other way round. FWIW the Martens sound better with Luxman than Naim but my Graham LS5/9 sounds better with Naim than Luxman. 😅

I have the Luxman 507Z, which I think is superb. I have it paired with Cary Audio DMS-650 Streamer/ DAC. Speakers are Audio Physic Tempo 35, but I’m currently evaluating Raidho X2T and Focal Sopra 2. My room is only 4m x 3m so I have to choose speakers carefully.

So far I know someone who finds the sound quality of the 509Z to be better than the 590AXII. I'm not sure how the 509Z will compare.

Hi Tom, I'm still running the Martens with the 590AXII and am still satisfied with the sound quality. The combination is surely better than the Naim 282/250DR as the Luxman sounds more polished and refined in comparison with better bass definition. It's surprising to hear about your experience since the 590AXII is not known to have an overwhelming bass. The bass is more toward clean, lean and defined as opposed to Naim's full and heavy bass with a slight midbass lift causing a loss of definition and detail (NAP 250DR). I would regard the Luxman as close to neutral with a slight "sweetness" to the sound.

Are your Focal Sopra 1s and Luxman L-590AXII fully run-in? It's surprising the sound quality went from decent to worse within 6 months as it should be the other way round. FWIW the Martens sound better with Luxman than Naim but my Graham LS5/9 sounds better with Naim than Luxman. 😅
Thanks for the reply. Everything is well burned in as the Sopras date from 2018 and the 590 from 2022 (both new at that time). I've had to use the foam bungs for the first time on the Sopras just to make things somewhat listenable. Currently struggling with deciding which one to keep and which to ditch. Perhaps leaning toward a different set of speakers as the lovely Sopras have always been extremely difficult to get setup and running properly. I also changed, like you, from a 282+250 setup hoping to improve things with a "forever amp". Don't regret the Naim but the Lux is really struggling to power the Sopras even though at 8 ohms nominal, they only drop to 3.9 ohms in the bass so theoretically compatible with the the 590's current delivery. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound at all like a happy marriage...Brgds.

I need more boxes

IMG-5682.jpg

This would definitely be too much for me, but I think probably as my system shares my lounge, so most of it is behind cupboards and even then I am finding it claustrophobic!

Don't bother.
I was running a Lector CDP7TL, Bardo/12" Enterprise 4/Koetsu RSP/Innuos ZeniTH/Pimped Black Ice DSD > MFA Baby Ref/GamuT D200 > ML Summits and had similar thoughts. About 5 months ago I did a major de-investment, (excluding the ZeniTH & BI) it didn't last long.
I was running a 401/Jelco 750D/Cadenza Blue/ 6000CDT/> Icon Audio ST40 Mk4 SE > SF Toy Towers.
The C Blue is now a Per Winfield Ti (+ an Umami Red), the SFs now 2 way Heco Direkts and the ST40 has become a MastersounD Compact 845.
By down-grading/de-investing, all you will achieve is weeks of anguish and longing for the level of SQ you had. If its not a financial necessity to get yourself out of a hole, LEAVE WELL ALONE.

Very fair points Lurch, that is ultimately my concern, and I could only really find the Hegel that was the only real option as an alternative. Naim stuff I don't get on with much, so a Nova is out.

Or do i accept that a downsized system may bring me more joy being smaller, with less investment and less fear of anything breaking and needing to replaced or fixed?

Others on here and elsewhere have reduced box count, some may say downgraded as well, but are still enjoying their music just as much as before.
Maybe it's been a 'clearing of the mind' or simply not looking at so many boxes.

Definitely a factor in it.

Just throwing another spanner in the works, if I was going for an all in one at your price range I'd like to hear the Thrax Ares Mk2. It was given a very good review on HiFi+, you can read the review using the link shown on this page.

There is also a short thread on pfm:- https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/thrax-ares-anyone.289836/

Good luck whichever way you go.

Thanks i will check this one out, appreciated.

This would definitely be too much for me
Me too if I was starting again. The problem is the Genelecs or the Leak ST20 and efficient speakers are both such nice systems that I can’t bring myself to move to one or the other.

If I was starting again I’d probably get the Technics digital source, bigger Genelecs and forget the turntable so all those boxes would become just three.

Anyway, best of luck with the move and take your time with the system.

Thanks for the reply. Everything is well burned in as the Sopras date from 2018 and the 590 from 2022 (both new at that time). I've had to use the foam bungs for the first time on the Sopras just to make things somewhat listenable. Currently struggling with deciding which one to keep and which to ditch. Perhaps leaning toward a different set of speakers as the lovely Sopras have always been extremely difficult to get setup and running properly. I also changed, like you, from a 282+250 setup hoping to improve things with a "forever amp". Don't regret the Naim but the Lux is really struggling to power the Sopras even though at 8 ohms nominal, they only drop to 3.9 ohms in the bass so theoretically compatible with the the 590's current delivery. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound at all like a happy marriage...Brgds.

Thanks for the clarification. It is likely the Luxman 590AXII doesn't match well with the Sopra 1. I've checked the specs of the Sopra 1 and suprisingly it's very similar to the Marten Duke 2 ( Impedance 4 ohms, 3.7 min, sensitivity 88dB).

May I ask if you have the Luxman connected directly to the wall socket or it's plugged in to a power block/conditioner? Is your source digital or vinyl?

Thanks for the clarification. It is likely the Luxman 590AXII doesn't match well with the Sopra 1. I've checked the specs of the Sopra 1 and suprisingly it's very similar to the Marten Duke 2 ( Impedance 4 ohms, 3.7 min, sensitivity 88dB).

May I ask if you have the Luxman connected directly to the wall socket or it's plugged in to a power block/conditioner? Is your source digital or vinyl?
No it's directly plugged into its own dedicated line straight from the fuse box using a high-quality cable. Have tried many PCs including Luxman's own models sourced from Japan. No difference whatsoever. Music source is Tidal and Qobuz through Roon fed by fiber ethernet to Naim ND5XS2, XPS, nDAC. Have also tried other streamers and DACs and a stand-alone CD player. The gigantic bass response, unlike anything ever heard previously with these speakers since 2018, remains constant. No vinyl for me. 4 sets of different speaker cables, countless interconnects both RCA and DIN, digital BNCs, ethernet cables...gave slightly different results but did not resolve the highly exaggerated bass. To me, the 590 is anything but neutral. What were the Japanese thinking? Small Japanese homes and apartments could never handle the bass of this amplifier! Even when I swapped the Sopras for some vintage SF Concertinos I have gave a massive, overwhelming bass response. Very disappointing because the amplifier is quite nice to look at, up until the moment I try and listen to it! BTW, my listening space is treated with 8 GIK acoustic panels and is the same room since 26 years, measured innumerable times with REW.

No it's directly plugged into its own dedicated line straight from the fuse box using a high-quality cable. Have tried many PCs including Luxman's own models sourced from Japan. No difference whatsoever. Music source is Tidal and Qobuz through Roon fed by fiber ethernet to Naim ND5XS2, XPS, nDAC. Have also tried other streamers and DACs and a stand-alone CD player. The gigantic bass response, unlike anything ever heard previously with these speakers since 2018, remains constant. No vinyl for me. 4 sets of different speaker cables, countless interconnects both RCA and DIN, digital BNCs, ethernet cables...gave slightly different results but did not resolve the highly exaggerated bass. To me, the 590 is anything but neutral. What were the Japanese thinking? Small Japanese homes and apartments could never handle the bass of this amplifier! Even when I swapped the Sopras for some vintage SF Concertinos I have gave a massive, overwhelming bass response. Very disappointing because the amplifier is quite nice to look at, up until the moment I try and listen to it! BTW, my listening space is treated with 8 GIK acoustic panels and is the same room since 26 years, measured innumerable times with REW.

I guess you need to try another amp (or several) just to be sure if the 590AXII is the main culprit to the exaggerated bass you are getting in your room since my experience is the opposite. The bass of the 590AXII will only be highly exaggerated if the "Loudness" feature is enabled. It's useful to know that your room is fully treated and optimised.

Similarly no vinyl for me too. 😊

I'd definitely say something may be wrong somewhere as the 590, while not exactly neutral , definitely isnt a bass monster for the many I have heard before and my own.

Hi
I did reduced box count, from Naim 300 dr / 252 with supercar dr, to the the Luxman 590AXII
Following home listening in my system, I preferred the Luxman over my Naims, it was just more enjoyable to listen to the music, engaging and more real, less false, even with its 30w ch, it seemed to drive and control my speaker better the my 300dr.
I did also try the Hegel 390, but was not for me, yes it was powerful, but no enjoyment in my system was NON engaging and flat compared to the Luxman or Naims.
If I ever go one box in the future, it will probably be Linn DSM Selekt.

I'm glad
Hi
I did reduced box count, from Naim 300 dr / 252 with supercar dr, to the the Luxman 590AXII
Following home listening in my system, I preferred the Luxman over my Naims, it was just more enjoyable to listen to the music, engaging and more real, less false, even with its 30w ch, it seemed to drive and control my speaker better the my 300dr.
I did also try the Hegel 390, but was not for me, yes it was powerful, but no enjoyment in my system was NON engaging and flat compared to the Luxman or Naims.
If I ever go one box in the future, it will probably be Linn DSM Selekt.

I'm glad you found the Luxman L590AXII to sound better and more enjoyable than the 252/300DR/Supercap DR. In my case with my Marten Duke 2 speakers, the 590AXII sounds more refined and delicate, revealing more nuance and detail when compared to the 282/250DR/Hicap DR. In summary it's a higher quality delivery with the Luxman. 😊
I matched the Naim 282/250DR with the warmer and lazier sounding Graham LS5/9 and the Naims do better here.

advertisement

Back