advertisement

Luxman Class A to Hegel Class A/B

flutteringwow

She called me baby, like an old romantic
I have a Luxman AX590 MK2, and its sublime. Combined with my Aqua La Scala Optologic and Auralic Aries G2 (with Hoer Wedge PSU - very important) its simply brilliant and all I've ever wanted from a hifi when I started this journey. Took a long while to get here admittedly.

BUT, space, fluidity/claustrophobia of all these boxes, the money invested in it, I am debating coming down to an all in one Hegel 390 or 590.

Curious if anyone has gone this way themselves, primarily I'd like to hear from anyone who has specifically gone from a Luxman to a Hegel using the internal DAC and to hear their subjective thoughts of that change was like?

(Disclaimer to avoid cyclic rhetoric - I have absolutely zero interest in measurements)

very much enjoy listening to friends luxman 507 with harbeth p3esr . lovely liquid and engaging sound . I also just love the similar sound i got with a hegel 120 and amphion argon one speakers . really struck by how engaging it was and i bought the speakers . whenever i have heard the 390 its superb . well worth a demo to see if you like it. of course the 590 going at decent prices now the 600 is out

Have you heard the Hegel with your speakers?

If you’re open to alternative options - one box Lyngdorf TDAI-3400, two boxes add the Aries G2 to the Lyng - it made quite an improvement to the Lyngdorfs internal streamer. I had the full G2 stack and the Aries was the standout unit. I moved the other way from Lyng to your Luxman. Hegel didn’t work for us but loads of guys really rate them.

If you love the system as is I’d have a serious chat with myself about keeping it - Kondo - does it bring you joy? I’ve been up and down the box count thing and the cost vs value internal debate, maybe just enjoy what you’ve put together, my system has a lot of money tied up but it’s used pretty much every day, sometimes all day early to late, it’s been going since half five this morning.

Here’s a pic of the Lux and Lyng going head to head a couple years ago.

Have you heard the Hegel with your speakers?

If you’re open to alternative options - one box Lyngdorf TDAI-3400, two boxes add the Aries G2 to the Lyng - it made quite an improvement to the Lyngdorfs internal streamer. I had the full G2 stack and the Aries was the standout unit. I moved the other way from Lyng to your Luxman. Hegel didn’t work for us but loads of guys really rate them.

If you love the system as is I’d have a serious chat with myself about keeping it - Kondo - does it bring you joy? I’ve been up and down the box count thing and the cost vs value internal debate, maybe just enjoy what you’ve put together, my system has a lot of money tied up but it’s used pretty much every day, sometimes all day early to late, it’s been going since half five this morning.

Here’s a pic of the Lux and Lyng going head to head a couple years ago.

Thanks for your thoughts buddy.

I wouldn't change to go to two boxes, it would be an all in one or nothing!

Totally agree about making sure its the right thing to do. I toyed with getting rid of the Aqua once to acquire some funds for some emergency house stuff, got a few cheaper DACs in to see if any could compare and hated them all, so that put that idea to bed.

I havent been using it much lately, and with a house move happening, I am at the point wondering, would a more simple solution be more suited, I have had my Naim Muso 2 on more than my Hifi lately as its less overwhelming, this is what I think has be considering downsizing..

A house move means a different room. Unless you need the money, now is not the time to change for the sake of a few extra boxes to shift to your new home. See how your 'overwhelming' system sounds in your new place and go from there. Further, it is very much a buyers' market - I'm not selling nice boxes for peanuts.

Thanks for your thoughts buddy.

I wouldn't change to go to two boxes, it would be an all in one or nothing!

Totally agree about making sure its the right thing to do. I toyed with getting rid of the Aqua once to acquire some funds for some emergency house stuff, got a few cheaper DACs in to see if any could compare and hated them all, so that put that idea to bed.

I havent been using it much lately, and with a house move happening, I am at the point wondering, would a more simple solution be more suited, I have had my Naim Muso 2 on more than my Hifi lately as its less overwhelming, this is what I think has be considering downsizing..
If you’re moving house it’ll have all sorts of implications on how you’re feeling/looking at things, maybe get moved in and settled, roll out the big hi-fi with a few beers and then decide if you want to change things after a few days/weeks.

I tried a load of DACs when I had plenty of free time over the lockdowns, most of the flavour of the month measurist sinad ones (all sold on) and stuff like older Cambridge/Rega/Tag/Meridian, wasn’t surprised my Auralic and dCS units were much preferred but a worthwhile experiment, the older DACs fared much better than expected, still have a couple.

I have a Naim Atom in the office now, replaced a multi box setup - Mac Mini/V1/202/Teddy/200, it’s a great one box system, I'd still go Lyng for a main system all in one cos of the Room Perfect eq system but wouldn’t be too disappointed with one of the Naim all in one units. I got back into Hi-Fi over a decade ago after being a major AV fan for donkeys years because I was demo‘d a SuperUniti into the B&W speakers I was after for a surround system upgrade, ended up with a 14 box mainly Naim 500 level system which was one extreme, later I ran just a Lyngdorf 2170+Aries Mini and then for a while just the 3400 before walking back up the multi box ladder again.

Hope the move goes smoothly.

If you’re moving house it’ll have all sorts of implications on how you’re feeling/looking at things, maybe get moved in and settled, roll out the big hi-fi with a few beers and then decide if you want to change things after a few days/weeks.

I tried a load of DACs when I had plenty of free time over the lockdowns, most of the flavour of the month measurist sinad ones (all sold on) and stuff like older Cambridge/Rega/Tag/Meridian, wasn’t surprised my Auralic and dCS units were much preferred but a worthwhile experiment, the older DACs fared much better than expected, still have a couple.

I have a Naim Atom in the office now, replaced a multi box setup - Mac Mini/V1/202/Teddy/200, it’s a great one box system, I'd still go Lyng for a main system all in one cos of the Room Perfect eq system but wouldn’t be too disappointed with one of the Naim all in one units. I got back into Hi-Fi over a decade ago after being a major AV fan for donkeys years because I was demo‘d a SuperUniti into the B&W speakers I was after for a surround system upgrade, ended up with a 14 box mainly Naim 500 level system which was one extreme, later I ran just a Lyngdorf 2170+Aries Mini and then for a while just the 3400 before walking back up the multi box ladder again.

Indeed, the DAC that came closest to being a replacement to the Aqua when I was experimenting was an old Arcam D33 . Even a Luxman DA250 wasn't good enough, but I suspect the D06 may have been a closer contender, yet many of these Dacs just seem to leave me feeling like the sound is a bit 'phoney' after using a ladder NOS dac. Once you put an old Mullard in the Aqua, it turns into something very special.

Yeah you're probably right about waiting it out, I would be better waiting to demo the Hegel in the new place. I think I was debating that if I did a clear out now before the move, I wouldnt know 'how' good my system sounded in the new place, and accepted the Hegel for what it does.

A house move means a different room. Unless you need the money, now is not the time to change for the sake of a few extra boxes to shift to your new home. See how your 'overwhelming' system sounds in your new place and go from there. Further, it is very much a buyers' market - I'm not selling nice boxes for peanuts.

Very very true and yes there isn't anything moving at all at the moment. i know the Luxman will fly out as I've already had multiple emails about it, but the rest maybe not.

Why didn't the Hegel work for you out of interest?

Why didn't the Hegel work for you out of interest?
I guess after reading nothing but mega positive reviews we were expecting an amp that had a serious wow factor but it didn’t sound that special - even handed/neutral, loads of power so able to go loud as hell and plenty of features but not the grin factor we look for when choosing something to home demo or purchase.

Obviously loads of folk love them and they do seem to be universally well reviewed but it’d be a boring old world if everyone liked the same things, don’t let me put you off - the 590 might be an absolute belter with your Concept 300 in your new room.

I guess after reading nothing but mega positive reviews we were expecting an amp that had a serious wow factor but it didn’t sound that special - even handed/neutral, loads of power so able to go loud as hell and plenty of features but not the grin factor we look for when choosing something to home demo or purchase.

Obviously loads of folk love them and they do seem to be universally well reviewed but it’d be a boring old world if everyone liked the same things, don’t let me put you off - the 590 might be an absolute belter with your Concept 300 in your new room.

Alan Shaw of Harbeth used to be an advocate of Hegel amps for his speakers. It appears that your experience with Hegel mirrors his taste and preference for a powerful, neutral and uninvolving amp (sound) .

Not sure if of any help as I compared amplifiers from lower shelf but when searching for a summer time amplifier I've tried at home Luxman, Gato and Hegel. I bought Gato , Luxman was ok but not as good, Hegel disappointed me a little , in the end we moved houses and I got back to my trusty McIntosh :)

I have a Luxman AX590 MK2, and its sublime. Combined with my Aqua La Scala Optologic and Auralic Aries G2 (with Hoer Wedge PSU - very important) its simply brilliant and all I've ever wanted from a hifi when I started this journey. Took a long while to get here admittedly.

BUT, space, fluidity/claustrophobia of all these boxes, the money invested in it, I am debating coming down to an all in one Hegel 390 or 590.

Curious if anyone has gone this way themselves, primarily I'd like to hear from anyone who has specifically gone from a Luxman to a Hegel using the internal DAC and to hear their subjective thoughts of that change was like?

(Disclaimer to avoid cyclic rhetoric - I have absolutely zero interest in measurements)
Don't bother.
I was running a Lector CDP7TL, Bardo/12" Enterprise 4/Koetsu RSP/Innuos ZeniTH/Pimped Black Ice DSD > MFA Baby Ref/GamuT D200 > ML Summits and had similar thoughts. About 5 months ago I did a major de-investment, (excluding the ZeniTH & BI) it didn't last long.
I was running a 401/Jelco 750D/Cadenza Blue/ 6000CDT/> Icon Audio ST40 Mk4 SE > SF Toy Towers.
The C Blue is now a Per Winfield Ti (+ an Umami Red), the SFs now 2 way Heco Direkts and the ST40 has become a MastersounD Compact 845.
By down-grading/de-investing, all you will achieve is weeks of anguish and longing for the level of SQ you had. If its not a financial necessity to get yourself out of a hole, LEAVE WELL ALONE.

Others on here and elsewhere have reduced box count, some may say downgraded as well, but are still enjoying their music just as much as before.
Maybe it's been a 'clearing of the mind' or simply not looking at so many boxes.

advertisement

Back