advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Would like to ask those who own Luxman and Accuphase amps. What interconnects do you use to connect your sources? Do you use single-ended or balanced? Has anyone compared balanced and single-ended and is there a noticeable difference between the two?

FWIW both my DAC and Luxman have balanced connections but I'm currently using a unknown brand of single-ended interconnect costing £400.

Very nice!! Defo go balanced/XLR. Try something from ACROLINK or SAEC, both Japanese brands so you should have reasonable access to them.

How are the Dukes sounding on the end of the 590AXII?

Still early days as they need a bit of running in but the sound quality has somehow surpassed the Sonneteer Orton. The Marten Dukes are sounding much better with the Luxman.

Early impressions - beautiful tone especially the treble, liquid sound, less smearing of notes, less grain. I m getting a touch of Class A brilliance but not the excessive warmish glow you get with tubes. Everything else in the midrange and bass are all well defined. Early days but I am impressed. This thing has potential, even with a single ended cable.

Size and weight isn't actually too bad compared to some integrated amps.

It sounds detailed but smooth with it. Sweet treble, lush mids. It has that class A flavour but isn't overly syrupy with it. In fact it puts out around 90W at 8 ohms so is probably AB but heavily biased towards class A (and gets suitably warm to prove it). Doesn't need massively efficient speakers because of this. I found it great with all types of music.

I preferred it to the MF Nu Vista 800 (bit too dense for my taste), Unison Research Unico 150 (lacking detail and not great build quality) and power amps from Cyrus, Chord and Bryston connected to ny MFA pre-amp which were all a bit hard sounding and yet no more detailed.

I didn't try it against a vast array of products but heard enough to know it was the amp for me, despite the 70's styling. Of course, YMMV. It may sound very different in your system. Get a demo if you're buying new.
Since you have the L-590AXII, do you usually leave the amp in "Line Straight" or "Loudness" setting? It appears that there are 3 settings with the amp as follows;

1) Line Straight - produces the purest sound by bypassing the tone and balance control
2) Loudness (on)
3) Loudness (off)

Currently I don't have any favourite setting but leaving the Loudness switch on, the volume gets a little higher and bass appears to sound slightly fuller. Loudness switch off sounds almost the same as Line Straight setting.

By the way, the tone controls are actually not bad at all especially the bass tone control. I've tried bumping up the bass and the quality is actually quite good as it doesn't sound like artificially enhanced bass we get from mini audio systems. Pretty high quality I would say. I'm impressed!

Since you have the L-590AXII, do you usually leave the amp in "Line Straight" or "Loudness" setting?
L-509X now but in both cases, I leave it in line straight mode. I don't use the tone controls as my system is pretty well balanced for all types of music. The Loudness button is for low level listening. I assume it squashes the dynamic range somehow. My speakers are very good at low volumes so I don't feel the need there either.

You might as well use XLR by the way as it's a fully balanced design.

As my Chord Dave DAC and the LP12's Urika outputs are both equipped with them, I've made up balanced leads for connection to the Accuphase E-650, using my favourite Mogami 2549 cable and Neutrik XLR plugs/sockets. A damn sight easier to solder up than the DIN plugs, and they've got a satisfying heft and click when you insert them.

Do they sound better than standard phonos? Who knows?

Is it a waste to run Luxman and/or Accuphase single ended?
No, the Accuphase sounded great using single ended connections. I believe you'll only notice the difference with long cable runs by virtue of the balanced arrangement's better rejection of exterior interference.

Is it a waste to run Luxman and/or Accuphase single ended?
It depends on the source and on the amp. Sources that have been designed around balanced topology are likely to prioritise this and the single-ended outputs may be compromised as a result. The reverse is also true. Same applies to amplifiers. I'd suggest experimenting and using whichever connection method sounds better to your ears.

L-509X now but in both cases, I leave it in line straight mode. I don't use the tone controls as my system is pretty well balanced for all types of music. The Loudness button is for low level listening. I assume it squashes the dynamic range somehow. My speakers are very good at low volumes so I don't feel the need there either.

You might as well use XLR by the way as it's a fully balanced design.
Thanks for the response. May I ask what speakers do you use with the Luxman?

Interesting you upgraded the L-590AXII to the L-509X. The dealer advised that the 509X is better than the 590AXII if I want slam, control, attack and authority, and particularly if I listen at higher volumes. On the other hand, the 590AXII is said to excel on low volume listening and possesses higher levels of richness and fluidity and is particularly good at vocals (must be due to Class A).

Although I do not have experience with the 509X, I pretty much agree with what that has been said about the 590AXII. Human voice on the 590AXII is distinctly better than the Sonneteer Orton and Naim 282/HCDR/250DR. A total lack of grain, just a smooth and organic quality with vocals. Very natural. There is grain and slight smearing and breaking up with vocals on the Sonneteer Orton. It's quite noticeable.

The balanced XLR cable will come sooner or later but boy, this Luxman is really something special. Finally the Marten Duke is performing close to its full potential which is a good thing.

@maccar Just look at the design both technically and physically, The WATT for example has 2x700va and 1x50va transformers + 200,000uF caps, and a damping factor of around 1000.
Then go see the prices, you'll soon realise you're paying almost double what they sell for in Japan. When buying from the EU (inc UK, for now) you're not getting shafted by the importer/tax.

But the best advice i could offer you is, get a demo.

@maccar Just look at the design both technically and physically, The WATT for example has 2x700va and 1x50va transformers + 200,000uF caps, and a damping factor of around 1000.
Then go see the prices, you'll soon realise you're paying almost double what they sell for in Japan. When buying from the EU (inc UK, for now) you're not getting shafted by the importer/tax.

But the best advice i could offer you is, get a demo.

OK, thanks for the reply.
Fortunately, I never pay full price for my Accuphase gear, always try to deal in used/ex demo market.
As a matter of interest, Have you ever heard Accuphase/Luxman amps along side the Audio Net
Just bought Harbeth 40.2, so sadly dare not go near any other kit for a while.
Mac

advertisement

Back