advertisement

Ludwig Van Beethoven

zener

fluff
After a long period of listening to Baroque and modern rock music , I've just had an evening of Beethoven , well a grown man was brought to tears ,wonderful , I'd forgotten how much he'd opened his soul to the world with his music , made me glad to be alive , the 6th symphony finished me off , tears of joy...........

of all composers, beethoven stands out in that he seems to be speaking to me directly with his music as if carrying out a conversation. this is one of the reasons he is my ultimate favourite.

i would suggest the "missa solemnis" as the key work but only the ancient clemens krauss account or herreweghe's stereo version on harmonia mundi. everything else misses the point--from somewhat to completely (for example, gardiner).

vuk.

i would suggest the "missa solemnis" ... herreweghe's stereo version on harmonia mundi.

I'll have to give it another go (I can do you a copy zener, if you're interested). I also heard the same forces do this in concert recently, I thought it was good, but not that good.

zener, you must have a listen to the late quartets if you've not done so already. Music for a lifetime. I wouldn't pretend to have done multiple comparisons but this lot hit the spot for me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Duncan's excellent Amazon link suggests this recording among others. Maybe Pollini's greatest achievement ever.

Like the late string quartets, the last piano sonatas aren't necessarily Beethoven's easiest work to understand. But once you get there you'll experience absolute bliss every time you hear them and for at least ten years. Just buy both boxes and forget them until they'll reveal themselves to you.

In the meantime, there are easier pieces to listen to, like the middle sonatas (the standard Pathétique, Moonlight, Appassionata, Tempest, Waldstein), the piano and violin concertos, and of course the symphonies - start by buying the whole lot on a budget label for a few quid and later buy other versions of the symphonies you prefer.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ok thanks everyone .
I've just played Clara Haskil / 3rd piano concerto ..the Largo is out of this world , the Orchetra are just bouncing off what shes doing , stunning:D
Duncan , string quartets purchased , online shopping ..scary

My favourite Beethoven CD, both for sheer bravura and delicacy and very decent sound quality, is The Emperor Concerto (no. 5) by Stephen Kovacevich with the L.S.O. on Phillips.

Various reviews (Penguin etc) rec. recording, too, at mid-price.

I'm finding, though, that CD presentation mitigates against classical (relative to non-classical). Maybe it's my CDPs

I've noted everyones recommendations and so far I've ordered Missa Solemnis , the version Vuk suggests , the late String quartets arrived this week and is the sort of music I like very much , cheers to all.

advertisement

Back