advertisement

Lucinda Williams

World Without Tears from 2003 is very good.
More recently she’s had a couple of sprawling double cd albums - Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone and The Ghosts of Highway 20 - which I found overstayed their welcome. For me Essence is her peak.

She had a stroke last year but has just played a well reviewed concert in the Barbican. I saw her a couple of years ago and found the songs (that night) a bit “samey” and downbeat.

She’s a notable co singer on Elvis Costello’s “Story in my Voice” on his excellent “Delivery Man” album.

I second “World without Tears” as the next one to buy.

Love “Live at the Fillmore”

Blessed is also very good, look out for the bonus of home demoes that she did around her kitchen table.

Just ordered the “Vanished Garden” on vinyl.

Didn't know she had a stroke .... Ok a different note not album is to listen to Gillian Welch. I put them in the same category

I purchased “World Without Tears” back when it came out. I’d get “Live at the Fillmore” if it was available on vinyl. I recently researched and listened to a lot of her music and settled on “Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone”. It’s a three album set from 2014 that she did after breaking away from her record label. It’s definitely the Lucinda Williams music I prefer over the other albums she did.

World Without Tears is the only album of hers that I own. I bought it on the strength of one song, Overtime, which has to be one of the saddest songs ever written/sung. Her vocal performance on that track is stunning.

Last few doubles have been great, especially with Bill Frisell and Geg Leisz on board.
I've been enjoying her recent covers records (Lu's Jukebox series) recorded live in studio in part as fundraiser for indy music venues during the pandemic. Dylan, Petty and Stones...hopefully she'll be able to return to her guitar playing post-stroke.

World Without Tears is the only album of hers that I own. I bought it on the strength of one song, Overtime, which has to be one of the saddest songs ever written/sung. Her vocal performance on that track is stunning.

Listening to this track just now. Tremolo effect on the guitar is off the scale!
She is singing well here!!

I’ve just bought Happy Women Blues via Bandcamp, apparently from 1980. Rather good, something of a throwback recording.

advertisement

Back