advertisement

LP12 Valhalla Board

I noticed the Valhalla on my 1985 LP12 had developed a speed issue so had a Herculles 2 fitted. After fitting it was clear to hear how much improved the deck was and I get 45 RPM now. About £180.
My Valhalla looked in good condition visually so it's no way to tell just by looking at it.

Is there a fix to stop the diode and resistor expiring?
No, the one fitted is a full wave bridge rectifier W06 1.5A 600V, best to replace it with a 4-6A 1000v bridge rectifier.
The resister isn't the problem but acts like a fuse when the bridge fails so you replace it as a matter of course

My mains voltage is normally 250 - 255VAC and the board caps are rated for 250V (+- 10-15%) so its no surprise they get stressed after 25 years

Alan

Is there a fix to stop the diode and resistor expiring?

Linn supplied a 'kit' comprising a diode, resistor and fuse. The longest part of the job was getting the bottom of the LP12 off and unplugging the PCB but it really didn't take much effort.

I noticed the Valhalla on my 1985 LP12 had developed a speed issue so had a Herculles 2 fitted. After fitting it was clear to hear how much improved the deck was and I get 45 RPM now. About £180.
My Valhalla looked in good condition visually so it's no way to tell just by looking at it.

A couple of years ago my early-1980s vintage LP12 blew its Valhalla - in the process, doing a rather fine job of it (bridge rectifier, resistors and a couple of caps). Luckily, the motor was fine, so did much the same as above - out with the defunct Valhalla and in with the Herc 2.

The rationale for the selection of the replacement was three-fold: one, the one Linn-trained techie I knew and trusted had emigrated to Australia; two, the Herc 2 offered 45rpm; and three, the local end-user prices gave the Herc 2 a significant advantage.

No regrets... :)

Mine went 'tits up' a number of years ago now and rather than repair/replace the Valhalla, I decided to move to a Naim Armageddon. I found this to be a massive improvement over the Valhalla !

You can get these 2nd hand at a very reasonable price today as lots of people are changing to the Linn Radikal.

Do they die through use or just age ? The caps in my my Sugden A48II (1976) show no signs of swelling or anything like that. It works fine though it ´s total use is probably more like about 10 years in all but it´s age is considerably more.
Both,, but use accelerates it. Heat is the biggest accelerator. Before they fail, they drift in value. This may or may not be detectable by the device in question. I had a Quad amp that started humming, the caps looked fine but the fix was to replace them.

My 1983 model had a couple of incidents where it just stopped. The advice from Phil at Phonography was that it was likely to be caused by the power supply, so it was replaced with a Lingo 2 bought from Paulski of this parish. The Valhalla clearly showed signs of leakage on the caps, so it was definitely on its way out.

Are there any tell tale signs that the Valhalla Board may need servicing or replacing. I have had my LP12 for about 28yrs now and it is the original electronics.
Has anyone ever found that over time their LP12 performance was being compromised by an aging Valhalla board. I am not one for dismantling my LP12 to visually inspect so are there any tell tale signs other than the obvious which can be noticed.
Typically how long with the Valhalla Board work, I estimate that my LP12 has been in use for in excess of 10 thousand hours.
Thanks

I have two serviced ones in stock Samz - latest spec too, take your pick - give me a call.

Regards.

John R

advertisement

Back