advertisement

LP12 service recommendation

Yes, I'd second Colin. Or alternatively Ray Horn at Grahams in Islington N1

Seriously - Is Ray still there? wow! He upgraded the wiring in my AR18s and fixed my Linn Saras in the mid and late 80s when I lived in London . I also bought my secondhand LP12 and separately an Ittok in Graham’s back in the late 80s .

Another vote for Colin here. 80 mile round trip for me, but he’s always done a good job, and brews nice coffee.

Mick

Infidelity was the place to go when Derek Jenkins was there. Not sure who does them now. Billy Vee fitted my Lingo 4 (which involves a strip down) and were good. I suspect they will be easiest . Central London will be impossible to park - apart from Graham’s who have a car park (and a really relaxing set up there if it hasn’t changed)

He is one of the few set up guru that wont do it while you hang around, took mine to cymbiosis peter sets it up there and then
I personally think the first option is the best and I would travel for it ,admittedly I turned up late on the day but it did seem a bit rushed as another customer was waiting for his slot

Just for the sake of a balanced prospective, I should say that I was treated very poorly by Billy Vee. I took two LP12's in there for set up, they had both for ages, constant phoning to ask how long they would be and when I eventually got them, both had to go elsewhere to be re-set. It was a while back and I think there was an issue with a staff member who subsequently left, but Ian should have been on top of it and he wasn't. The other thing is, that Ian isn't very keen on non-standard LP12's and wasn't too keen on the Aro that I had on the turntable at the time. It's a great shame, because Billy Vee are the closest Linn dealer to me. More recently, I've used Infidelity, but I have no idea who is working on the LP12's now that Derek Jenkins has sadly passed away.

I keep meaning to try clive at sound cinergy
Dosent get many recommendations but he is my local linn dealer

Seriously - Is Ray still there? wow! He upgraded the wiring in my AR18s and fixed my Linn Saras in the mid and late 80s when I lived in London . I also bought my secondhand LP12 and separately an Ittok in Graham’s back in the late 80s .
Well he was there in 2018 when he rebuilt my LP12 and is still shown on their website so I assume...yes!

Ray is still at Grahams and setting up Linns for customers - I said hello to him 2 months ago when I picked up my new phono stage. Pleased to say I have been a Grahams customer for 40 years and have always found them helpful :cool:

See the Peter swan setup guide on how to setup and lp12 see link below
https://www.cymbiosis.com/download/setting-up-your-lp12-volume-i/
buy yourself an lp12 jig £185 a new set of springs grommets and oil .
and do the job yourself . It is not rocket science but to get it right does take a little practice and patience .
it will cost you around £30 more initially but save you £175 ish every time there after . also check out Youtube. setup LP12
there are some good video's , the hardest thing is setting the tonearm cable the rest is easy.

if you are not comfortable doing this then I would recommend https://www.cymbiosis.com

they have the best reputation when it comes to lp12 servicing

...the hardest thing is setting the tonearm cable the rest is easy.

Yes, and a big part of that is the choice of arm cable and the type of connector; right angle is easiest and a reasonably pliable cable. Use the p-clip to ensure that the cable isn't too loose, but at the same time not so tight that it interferes with the suspension.

Another recommendation for Cymbiosis in Leicester. - Mate as used Cymbiosis for years.

Also Robert Isherwood at Inspire nr. Chesterfield - I have used a few times.

And Vinyl Passion nr. Mansfield - not used him, but is in the same area.

For the last twenty plus years I’ve used Infidelity in Hampton Wick where Derek did a fantastic job, now sadly passed away. He worked with Carl and Mike who have now taken on LP12 duties. So hopefully they have inherited some of his skills.
I shall find out tomorrow when I collect my Karousel fettled LP12 from them!

advertisement

Back