advertisement

LP12 service recommendation

terence

After a long absence, it's time to get back to vinyl. My LP12 has been gathering dust for many years and I would like to get it properly serviced and set up. Does anyone have recommendation for a good place to get it done? Near SW London would be a huge bonus.

Many thanks!

Masses upon masses upon masses of instructions online - not at all difficult to do yourself, especially if you lash-up a support from 2x1 timber so that it is easy to work on.

I have never replaced the belt here in over 30 years. New springs and grommets are all that is needed (and they probably aren't, truth be told).

I can recommend Colin Macey at What You See and Hear in Beaconsfield. Colin has been servicing LP12s since the early 80s and really knows his stuff. He's also setup decks on behalf of Linn for magazine review. You will need to leave the deck with him so it can be properly setup.

Otherwise, there is a dealership in Kingston Upon Thames if you want somewhere closer but I don't know much about them.

I can recommend Colin Macey at What You See and Hear in Beaconsfield. Colin has been servicing LP12s since the early 80s and really knows his stuff. He's also setup decks on behalf of Linn for magazine review. You will need to leave the deck with him so it can be properly setup.

Otherwise, there is a dealership in Kingston Upon Thames if you want somewhere closer but I don't know much about them.
Yes, I'd second Colin. Or alternatively Ray Horn at Grahams in Islington N1

I set up my own LP12 these days & I bought an LP12 set up jig for the purpose; mine was second hand from pfm if I remember correctly.

That's my point really a decent jig is mandatory

Not at all. The jig is just an open-topped support that allows easy access to the underside of the deck. I built one for essentially nothing from some 2x1 offcuts. If you want to add some removable legs (the height of convenience), threaded plates to allow that cost just a very few ££ from lots of places online.

I wouldn't say Mandatory, but it's more secure with the proper jig if you can afford one.
Yes, it's much easier if you have one you can clamp the deck into and then tilt on its back.

I do DIY LP12 setup on mine, just remember it's more than just the bounce.............

Definitely not a space shuttle or even especially complicated, but.... Setting up an LP12 is one of those jobs that when you look at someone who knows what they're doing do it, you think wow, that's easy. If you're only doing it once and need to buy nut spinners and a jig, plus the jig to set arm pivot to spindle distance correctly (assuming a Linn arm) and then find a source for the service manual and bits and actually know which bits you need and what they're called etc, then it's just easier to pay to have it done, in my view. It'll take a dealer a couple of hours at the most unless you're doing loads to it.

Well yes home made etc but a jig is a must ,I remember back in the day balancing my lp12 inbetween my tls80 speakers to access underneath lol

I took my LP12 to CM once, never again!

I thought he handled it roughly and it sounded worse after the service than before. I took it back and he redid it.
Also had the hardest sell I've ever had with anything, trying to get me to upgrade my Troika.

Wish I had stayed with Glyn at the Sound Gallery

I’d be inclined to have a chat with Ian Ridge at Billy Vee in Lewisham. OK, so it’s SE London, but Ian knows his stuff.

advertisement

Back