advertisement

Lp12 fitting with a Lingo 2 in the York/Hull area...

Hi Jonathan.

I dont think I will be doing this but if I am called up I'll take you up on your kind offer!

Andrew

I had a mate fit the Lingo tonight wihout a speed check it sounds perfect...I would not mind though a speed check at some point if the offer is there Andrew...

A big improvement over the old Valhalla....

Couldn't believe how straight forward the job was either...

I had a mate fit the Lingo tonight wihout a speed check it sounds perfect...I would not mind though a speed check at some point if the offer is there Andrew...

A big improvement over the old Valhalla....

Couldn't believe how straight forward the job was either...

Happy to help whenever.

I'm just reading this old thread because I just bagged a nice Lingo. But the thread is not quite conclusive as to whether a strobe is needed to do a speed check when fitting the Lingo. I'm trying to decide whether to fit it myself or get help and the speed issue seems to be the key one. My deck has recently been checked out and everything else is in very good order.

I am from Pock!!!!...I cannot wait to hear the LP12 with the Lingo2...Sound Org could do it but not straight away and I am the impatient sort!

Lol, I wonder how many of us Pock dwellers are on here? If we can find a few more we can start a club!

Ok, but would I have to check the speed after switching from a Valhalla to a Lingo, if the speed was fine before hand?

If you buy an oil change kit from Johnnie, he includes a rather nice strobe disc.
I´ve been from Valhalla to Lingo 1 to Norton Air Power and never had to adjust the speed. It´s little things like that that people tend to forget when they call it an old fruit box. It may well be one but it is very noble in its ways, a bit like my Beetle.

Well, yes, but you wouldn't have to change the speed if you went from a Val to a L1 to a Norton on a Thorens 150, 160, or a Rega, or anything else with a syncronous motor. They all expect 50Hz and this regulates their speed, and all the PSUs described run 50Hz. See also Armageddon, etc.

Whilst I am in no way an expert, I had an Armageddon fitted by Cymbiosis. Peter did check the speed afterwards but there was no adjustment required. I take this to mean that once the speed is correct, a new power supply will not alter the speed.

As mentioned, the motor speed is determined by the frequency with which it is driven.

If the Valhalla was putting out 50Hz (motor running at 250 RPM) and the LP12 was set for the correct speed (33.3 RPM) then if you change to a Lingo outputting 50Hz when on 33.3, the LP12 motor will run at 250 RPM and the LP12 platter will turn at the correct speed of 33.3 RPM.

There is of course no harm in checking. After a 33.3/45 PSU build, I check the output frequency. 50Hz for 33.3 RPM and 67.5Hz for 45. I have never had to adjust a previously correctly setup LP12 to obtain the correct speed. In this area the LP12 is very stable.

If the motor is not working correctly, the Lingo may hiccup due to the lower drive voltage.

Regards
Peter

Last time I checked the Valhalla generated it's own 50 hz reference on board, so if for example you swap that to a Armageddon you will be at the mercy of the mains frequency, not that lovely accurate timing crystal on the Valhalla.

So yes, you do need to check the speed when swapping power supplies, because you have no way of knowing that they are all actually accurately set for 50hz via their various timing chips, or indeed that you mains frequency is bob-on.

In likelihood they'll be right- but why risk it.

Mains freq is actually pretty close to bob-on. It's the most heavily regulated of the parameters, voltage can be +/- 10% and can p*** about all over the place without penalty but freq has to be an average of 50Hz over 24hrs to a pretty high standard, and it can't deviate more than X amount at any time. Get it wrong and the power company is fined. The reason is a lot of clocks and other devices rely on cycle counting to keep time.

advertisement

Back