advertisement

LP12 felt mat

Fuller

pfm Member
Read somewhere the other day that the LP12 felt mat sounds better one way up than the other. I’ve had my LP12 since 1989 and I’m worried now that for the last 34 years I’ve had it the wrong way up….
What do all you LP12 disciples think of that then?
Who’s spent hours flipping the mat for the best sounding side….and which sounded best?

Read somewhere the other day that the LP12 felt mat sounds better one way up than the other. I’ve had my LP12 since 1989 and I’m worried now that for the last 34 years I’ve had it the wrong way up….
What do all you LP12 disciples think of that then?
Who’s spent hours flipping the mat for the best sounding side….and which sounded best?

If you hold it up to the light then you can see an imprint in the material which says this way up. The difference in sound quality is subtle but it can be heard.

I remember reading this guff about the LP12 mat years ago. In all my years and systems with 4 different LP12s I’ve never heard a scrap of difference.

Stop worrying and and enjoy the deck

I remember reading this guff about the LP12 mat years ago. In all my years and systems with 4 different LP12s I’ve never heard a scrap of difference.
Stop worrying and and enjoy the deck

As if I’d really worry about a bit of fuzzy felt….

When I bought my deck from Cymbiosis Pwter said there was a 'right' way. He put little blue stickers (on the 'face down') 'wrong' side. Since getting it home I've always played it right side up, though I likely wouldn't have noticed the SQ difference myself without being told. If you don't have blue stickers (!) I think it is something to do with a different texture, as mentioned above.

When I bought my deck from Cymbiosis Pwter said there was a 'right' way. He put little blue stickers (on the 'face down') 'wrong' side. Since getting it home I've always played it right side up, though I likely wouldn't have noticed the SQ difference myself without being told. If you don't have blue stickers (!) I think it is something to do with a different texture, as mentioned above.

Peter did exactly the same for me. I trusted that he could hear the difference, and have never taken the trouble to try the other way around, to see if I could hear a difference...

Sadly it is true....and can be heard

When I took my lp12 into Peter to be serviced...complete with little yellow sticker to show which way up the mat was...Peter played the deck, and said " well at least you have the mat on the right way"

My mat has yellow stickers. Now I'm worried if the blue stickers are better. But you knew that.

Everything makes a difference to the LP12….:)
……it’s part of the mystique that helps install neurosis into its owners that in turn keeps the upgrade platter spinning $$$$$$.

Still a nice sounding deck though !

advertisement

Back