advertisement

LP12 Advice

mjkelshaw

pfm Member
I've decided that I would like to move my LP12 on, however, given the diverse specifications of the ones that I see for sale I'm unsure how to 'price it'.
Purchased (2001) from Chris Brooks, with a black ash plinth, Ekos (1), Arkiv, Cirkus, and a Lingo 1, it was little used as I had a Roksan Xerxes / Artemiz installed as my main t/table.
After I had sold the Roksan, in 2010, the LP12 was completely rebuilt by P. Swain @ Cimbiosys and had an Arkiva, Trampolin 2, and Lingo 2 substituted.
It was rebuilt again in 2011 by P.Swain when a Keel and Linn Cherry plinth were fitted, and then went 'back in its box', until I moved to Torquay in 2015, and since then has been little used.
It is currently fitted with an Ekos (1), Arkiva, Keel, Cirkus, Linn Cherry plinth, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2.
However, as I retained its original black ash plinth and Cirkus subchassis, I wondered whether having it rebuilt with these original 'bits' and offering the Cherry plinth and Keel separately would be a better option?

Regards
Mike K.

Last edited:
It would be a shame to pull apart a very nice spec'd deck of which I reckon sounds very good indeed. Personally I think you'll find it very hard to sell the Keel privately due to the many third party sub-chassis available at much more reasonable & lower prices that offer (I suspect) equal (but maybe a little different) sound quality. I'd try to sell it as a whole privately & ask around a dealer or two what they would offer. If things don't turn out to good you'll certainly manage to sell the many bits for a good price but you may just be hanging on to that Keel unless you price it keenly.

Thank you for the responses so far.
I was hoping that somebody would suggest a reasonable 'ball park' figure for it's worth, I would prefer that it would go to somebody who really wants it rather than attempt to squeeze every last penny from the sale.
Perhaps as suggested, it would make sense to make enquiries at a couple of 'dealers', and / or 'LP12 Bits', as I'm reluctant to just 'stick it on' E-Pay.

Regards
Mike K.

I parted out my LP12 when I'd finished with it and I'm sure it did a lot better that way. In fairness I kept the Lingo II to run my Rock so I'd have had to buy another PS for it to sell it as a working TT anyway.

In parts (possibly a bit optimistically)

Cirkus bearing & inner platter £100
Cherry plinth £300
Lid £100
top plate £ 75
Motor £ 75
Hinges £ 15
Outer £120
Lingo II £650
Ekos £900
Keel £1700
=====
£4035

Cirkus subchassis £100
Black ash plinth £200

Akiva - whatever anybody will pay based on condition

I think the Keel would be very easy to sell (but hard to price) because they just don't come up used and people want the real thing. Two recently haven't sold at £1900 ish so the price must be lower than that.

If you put it on as a single unit at £4.5K I just don't think you'd get any interest because anybody wanting that sort of spec LP12 probably already has most of the parts they need bar the Keel and newer plinth. You could take a huge bath on it if you auction it because most bidders would only want those couple of bits.

In parts (possibly a bit optimistically)

Cirkus bearing & inner platter £100
Cherry plinth £300
Lid £100
top plate £ 75
Motor £ 75
Hinges £ 15
Outer £120
Lingo II £650
Ekos £900
Keel £1700
=====
£4035

Cirkus subchassis £100
Black ash plinth £200
I would say those values are mostly conservative. You won't get £100 for a Cirkus sub-chassis but everything else is on the money or less. It's more hassle but you will get more money.

I wouldn't sell it to LP12 Bits. The guy buys cheap then sells at really high prices. For example he sells Ittoks and Ekos's at what looks like market value but he doesn't include the arm cable. Which you need and should come with the arm. I can't respect that.

I stick by my subchassis valuation

The ones going cheaper are usually the pre circus ones with only a single layer of steel supporting the bearing.

Nobody needing a cirkus upgrade is likely to already have the correct subchassis, and the tendency to sell the bearing and inner separately, presumably by those already using some sort of upgraded subchassis makes them quite hard to come by.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thank you colasblue, your 'breakdown' figures for the individual parts was really useful.
The links to 'e-pay' for the two 'Cirkus' sub-chassis's was interesting, the one with the armboard appeared to be cut for an 'Arrow'.
To be honest, I was surprised to see what I would have considered as rather high 'sold' figures.

Regards
Mike K.

Thank you Mr Pig for your comments about the suggested values, and also the likely response from 'LP12 Bits'.
I'm realistic enough to realise that selling to any dealer wouldn't achieve the same price as selling privately.
I purchased the LP12 as a 'curiosity' and it has never actually been my 'main' t/table, and given that I've now reached 'octogenarian' status I realise that I need to start reducing my 'kit count', hence my original 'post'.

Regards
Mike K.

advertisement

Back