advertisement

Lp 12 noise

A simple test is to gently press straight down onto the top of the motor pulley from above. A properly suspended motor will have the rotating parts shift down by a slight amount and then spring back up to their original position.

Should it not move down at all then it will be riding the bottom bearing sleeve and is likely to be noisier in use than one that is held afloat.
Hi buddy
Gonna check your answer on my own table.
Should this be the case do you have a quick fix or would it require pro help?

Hi buddy
Gonna check your answer on my own table.
Should this be the case do you have a quick fix or would it require pro help?
Depends upon what deck you have. If it is an LP12 with the later permanently glued on motor thrust bearing then you are unlikely to feel any play in a downward direction; reason being, this type eschews a spring within and simply acts as a bottom bearing thrust plate for the rotor/spindle to pirouette upon much more accurately over time than would a spring and ball, or earlier spring and pad(s) arrangement. You could just have a look at the bottom of the motor and see what is there. Not all variants are pictured on pg 3 here, however, it should be obvious if you have other than the very small cap in the last photo, anything else eventually requires servicing or replacement.

I thought that the perceived wisdom these days was that the tall cap was a waste of space at every level so best removed (lingo or not).

When I had one all it ever did was occasionally fall off when you fitted the 45 adaptor, and once caused the motor to seize when it's grease set solid after an extended period of non use.

There was a firm selling an upgrade one which allowed you to set the motor ride height with a screw, but that seems to have disappeared.

I wouldn't worry about its absence one iota.

Depends upon what deck you have. If it is an LP12 with the later permanently glued on motor thrust bearing then you are unlikely to feel any play in a downward direction; reason being, this type eschews a spring within and simply acts as a bottom bearing thrust plate for the rotor/spindle to pirouette upon much more accurately over time than would a spring and ball, or earlier spring and pad(s) arrangement. You could just have a look at the bottom of the motor and see what is there. Not all variants are pictured on pg 3 here, however, it should be obvious if you have other than the very small cap in the last photo, anything else eventually requires servicing or replacement.
Thanks Craig
Appreciate your reply.
Ill take a look over the weekend
By the way it’s an unmodified 1974 export Lp12. I just replace consumables when necessary, think she might do with an oil change actually

Thanks Craig
Appreciate your reply.
Ill take a look over the weekend
By the way it’s an unmodified 1974 export Lp12. I just replace consumables when necessary, think she might do with an oil change actually
You're welcome Eddie.

An unmodified Sondek from 1974 will have a squared off U-shaped metal bracket extending across the bottom of the motor (see photo below). This acts as bridge supporting the earliest thrust bearing type (you can just make out the spring through the locating hole in the bracket). If you are not experiencing any motor noise issues, it might be best to leave well enough alone, otherwise, I'd get a single drop of oil into both the top and bottom motor bearing sleeves, and either clean and grease the sprung pad to motor spindle end (molybdenum disulphide grease), or replace the bracket and thrust bearing assembly with the Nirvana period 'large' end cap, spring, and 9mm ball (dealer spares, or donor sourced, as Linn no longer supply these parts).

It is also possible that the motor spindle bottom end has gotten rough from years of running dry on the old style thrust bearing. If so, a polish with emery cloth before grease and refitting will restore to like new performance here (assuming the motor is otherwise fine).

Linn Sondek LP12 motor and electrics, >=1974 S/N 2000:
post-136297-0-07616000-1399373649_thumb.jpg

[Image credit: Linn Products Ltd. ignore the 'VALHALLA ONLY' bit]
Screen-Shot-2021-08-13-at-7-57-07-AM.png

Last edited:

advertisement

Back