advertisement

LP 12/Hercules no no with Tramp2?

nitrous

pfm Member
Interesting comment from Linn staff member over on the Linn forum about using herc and tramp 2. could be unsafe as it is a metal base and would be to close to the circuit board. Shame, I was going to build up a second LP12 to that exact spec for simplified second system:(

Any thoughts on a mod that could be done to make it safe, or is it a no no full stop?

Would a simple insulation sheet glued to the base be adequate, or could the herc be built into a plastic box and still located inside plinth?

Thoughts welcome:)

As Mr Pig says. If the metal base is earthed the worst case scenario is that the live wire falls off and hits the base, at which point there will be a bang and the fuse blows. That's safe, and standard practice for metal case items.

Oh well no LP12 owner with a Valhalla ought to consider the tramp 2 upgraade either then!

A surprisingly correct call from an official Linnie.

What are we to think?

No longer are all generations of Lp 12 mutually compatible. upgrades have an order of compatibility now.

I just upgraded the Lp12 to an orbe - it was a good call and cost a lot less than the official linn option.

they're so tied up in their own crap they were bound to trip themselves up eventually.

Bet the comment/thread mysteriously disappears soon!

Thread is still there here is link.

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=17097

To be fair to linn, the internal Valhalla was phased out about 20 years ago, and the new basik ps is in a sealed box, so I suppose officially if you asked a Linn dealer to fit a Tram 2 to a deck with an old Valhalla he should refuse, or sell you a lingo;)

Interesting nobody has raised this issue before.

advertisement

Back