advertisement

Love for Cyrus?

dalryc

pfm Member
I've noticed that there's not many posts about Cyrus equipment here, despite the "prominence" in What HiFi.
I'm buying some Cyrus gear, and have had some in the past, but wondered why the lack of related posts?

I'm open to flac...

ah there was a fab forum called cyrusunofficial that went on for years . the FB groups are very popular , some of their stuff is great . not a fan of the cd players which do sound absolutely brilliant but are probably on the same level as land rover for reliability

I've noticed that there's not many posts about Cyrus equipment here, despite the "prominence" in What HiFi.
I'm buying some Cyrus gear, and have had some in the past, but wondered why the lack of related posts?

I'm open to flac...
Like the flac/flak pun.
At the risk of going on I saw a review of their latest integrated with separate power supply and it was 6k! I've had cyrus kit before now and it was nowhere near the level of performance/build quality/aesthetics that I would expect for this price.

Are they still made in Uk ? I guess if they are that accounts for some of the costs possibly .and a lot of R@D
Everything in hifi seems to be jumping in price .

Yes - that whetted my appetite.
I've ordered the CDi-XR from them already as I've missed having one after going to streaming.

I liked Cyrus when they were Mission and pretty affordable. They make no sense now.
I never understood the change from Mission to Cyrus.
I have been told that Mission were demo'ing non production standard speakers to dealers that were uprated spec from what the consumer would get.

Brilliant .well they are small and fit easy into domestic enviroments . Yes a brand new rotel michi p5 is incredible value at £2199 ( mark one ) but its big , and heavy at over 20kgs .cyrus easier to sneak in !

Like many others, been there but moved on now. Recent prices are bordering on ridiculous, hope the new units are more reliable than the older ones.

I still run a Cyrus Two integrated amp and a PSX power supply in one system. I bought the amp in 1989 and it's been very reliable. I have to clean the volume pot every so often when it begins to 'rustle' and I've replaced the two infamous bi-polar caps under the ribbon cable on the pcb that are known to fail. I don't use the phono stage but if I did I'd have to replace all the caps in that section too as it does hum a bit on the disc input. Cosmetically it is first class as I've looked after it and the Nextel finish hasn't deteriorated. I've replaced the four big caps in the PSX too. The two together have a lot of drive and there is absolute silence from the speakers when no music is playing on aux or cd input
PS: I have a second PSX spare that I would happily sell, if anyone is interested and would like more info.

I use the Cyrus phono stage with a PSX power supply. It's very versatile with upto 4 inputs each of which you can save parameters against (admittedly I only currently use one). What I most like about it is how easy it is to change capacitance, resistance and gain 'on the fly' via front panel buttons and thus to find the best match to a cartridge. Alot of phono stages have fiddly DIP switches which make this very hard. So a vote for Cyrus from me...

Always fancied trying a cyrus amp, mostly as my older brother had a pink triangle deck with a cyrus two and celestion dl6, that was my introduction to hifi.
I think if I wanted to scratch that itch I'd probably be looking for something about £300 second hand. Only thing that puts me of is I know next to nothing about their amp's.

Well, after owning a few phono stages and not being entirely happy with them I ou picked up a s/h phono stage with psx power unit. Sounds really great to me. Some tremendous bass output and has been said has settings for the cartridge on the fly via the front display, albeit a little small due to the compactness of the unit. Best phono had so far.

I'm open to flac...
Any love? Nope, not round these parts.

Cyrus begat what I still think of as the 'Cyrus sound,' all leading edges and speed, but with no tonal colour or meat on the bones. Sort of CGI hifi, or painting by numbers with the outlines still visible after 'colouring in.' The sort of industrial noise What HiFi thought represented the state of the art in the mid-nineties (along with Audiolab). Add a pair of shiny Monitor Audios with metal drivers and you had, to my ears, the system from hell.

You can tell I've always been a big fan.

Some of the early Mission stuff on the other hand, was pretty decent, although it was sometimes hard to shake the perception that the concept was often better than the execution. Forty years back now, so I don't remember the back story in any great detail (and wasn't hugely interested at the time) but IIRC the Mission/Cyrus thing was the result of something of a rift in the lute between the Azima siblings rather than a planned rebrand. Cyrus started off as something of a 'diffusion line' for Mission to sell a less expensive line of electronics.

Had the original Cyrus 2 a few decades ago . Loved the mids and highs , couldn't live with the bass ( or lack of ) and I always remember my unit ran very cool , quite cold to the touch which seemed kind of weird , even after quite lengthy playing sessions. Anyway , having never listened to any Cyrus since , and after recently buying a pair of KLH Model 5's on this forum ( thanks again Tony ) I just had a feeling that Cyrus amplification and KLH speakers might work . I took a chance and got a good buy on a pair on Cyrus Mono X's and a Dac XP and power supply , and yes , to my ears they definitely work together and sound great .

I see you can still get the new integrated with psu for less than 5k at fanthorpes so always a deal to be done
Was £6k. Reduced to only £5k. Bargain. It must be worth it, then, if it was £6k last week.
Anyone want to buy some magic beads? They were £200 last week, only £100 today but I only have one bag at that price.

Any love? Nope, not round these parts.

Cyrus begat what I still think of as the 'Cyrus sound,' all leading edges and speed, but with no tonal colour or meat on the bones. Sort of CGI hifi, or painting by numbers with the outlines still visible after 'colouring in.' The sort of industrial noise What HiFi thought represented the state of the art in the mid-nineties (along with Audiolab). Add a pair of shiny Monitor Audios with metal drivers and you had, to my ears, the system from hell.

You can tell I've always been a big fan.

Some of the early Mission stuff on the other hand, was pretty decent, although it was sometimes hard to shake the perception that the concept was often better than the execution. Forty years back now, so I don't remember the back story in any great detail (and wasn't hugely interested at the time) but IIRC the Mission/Cyrus thing was the result of something of a rift in the lute between the Azima siblings rather than a planned rebrand. Cyrus started off as something of a 'diffusion line' for Mission to sell a less expensive line of electronics.
I share your view of the sound, a mate's dad had one back in the mid 80s and it always sounded thin and harsh to me. The mate in question had a Rotel 810 and Diamonds, or similar, in his bedroom, that sounded better.

Cyrus kit passed me by.
I couldn’t get on with the aesthetics of their early small amplifiers.
The rear ‘connection shelf’ idea didn’t work for me, though it seemed popular with many.

advertisement

Back