advertisement

Loudon Wainwright Request

Bob McC

Living the life of Riley
Loudon wainwright BBC4 Sessions on BBC 4 tonight/tomorrow 1:20 am

Would someone please put this on DVD for me for appropriate recompense etc.

I videoed the original 2 weeks ago but darn near worn it out already! Between us me and SWMBO seem to have it on all the time!

Please, please, please

Bob

I really am going to have to get one of these DVD recorder thingys - this happens a few times too often to me as well.

I was at one of the 70s shows that they used - live in Golders Green, N. London - "Unrequited to the nth degree" was from that show. Rather bizarrely the bill was shared with XTC! A good trip down memory lane.

Kevin

I'm not being facetiousornasty or here BTW

LW is a bit of an all time hero..

Mustve bin one hell of an experience?

P said:
I'm not being facetiousornasty or here BTW

LW is a bit of an all time hero..

Mustve bin one hell of an experience?

Yeah I believe you, sarcastic bugger :p

Actually, I never been a huge fan of LW III . A friend got the tickets free - it must've been 1978- and I tagged along. It was a phase when LW was going for laughs - and I've always held that comedy and music don't mix, being a grumpy sort. I've tended to enjoy his more serious songs more, although even these can have a cloying sentimentality. I love Kate and Anna McGarrigle and still dig their records out on occasions. I actually enjoy their versions of LWs songs more than the originals - Swimming Song being a case in point. Their first record is still a thing of beauty 30 yrs on.

Did see Rufus last year: he was amazing! Funnier than LW and, for me, much better music. And I prefer his version of One Man Guy....

Kevin

Can't agree abouit Rufus. I've seen him and don't understand the fuss. I think he is quite limited and repetitive. He often tries to do too much vocally and ends up straining. The only song of his I really like is 'Dinner at Eight'. LW at the Lowry this year was superb. Also I'm sure when LW himself sings Swimming Song he introduces it as a McGarrigle song. I'm seeing them in 10 days in Manchester.

Bob

bob mccluckie said:
he introduces it as a McGarrigle song. I'm seeing them in 10 days in Manchester.

Bob

Good for you. We're catching them at the SBE the day after. Saw them at the South Bank last year with Rufus, and yes, I know what you mean. Martha was quite something though ;-)

Regards,

Kevin

advertisement

Back