advertisement

Lotus

It works for me. I love the Lotus heritage and the idealistic black & white faux history of Colin Chapman working in a post war garage on a daft concept, with a thick smell of oil permeating his clothes and his wife despairing that his dinner has gone cold on the table again.
I know it's sentimental nonsense and has no relationship with either the truth, the current car manufacturer, or the racing team, but I don't care. I'm just a sucker for it. It's only paying homage, but better that than nothing. Support the name and support the badge. I can't help myself.

Yes me too. But let's face it, the beginning you describe was not far from the truth in the early days. My interest in motor racing began with Jim Clark and Graham Hill, the much nagged for Scalextric duly arrived with a pair of Lotus 49s. A day in terms of childish excitement that was only matched by the arrival of an Elise some 40 years later when I eventually decided I did not need a 'practical' reason to have one. :D

Good for you. I take my hat off to you.
Which one?

A pretty standard S1. Had some nice cars over the years, Carrera, 996 turbo etc but for 'smiles per mile' within speed limits in non-track driving I much prefer the S1 it's huge fun.

Does anyone know what Lotus Cars' main export market it? I can't find anything using the usual methods.

That's a good question...I will find out from a Lotus forum I am a member of. I think, if you stretched it back to the 60s, USA would be the main export market. I am guessing here, but am an ex Elan +2 owner and did for a while have a keen interest in them. Then the gelcoat kept cracking, the electrics did weird things, it stank of petrol and made me feel sick, it was really hot in the cabin in summer, the starter motor went, it was hellishly noisy, speed bumps took my exhaust off, the missus hated it.

The romance went after about 3 years. Looked pretty though. I shifted my old car enthusiasm to 80s classics. Much better place to be.

advertisement

Back