advertisement

Lorry drivers and poor pay& conditions.

having read that article 2 or 3 times, it appears to be content free.

I don't dispute there might be an issue with the pay and conditions, but that article does nothing to shine a light on it.

they have a very difficult time trying to cope with these city centres and traffic conditions . long hours and brexit queues did not help morale

I vividly recall going to a service station in lockdown and all the facilities were closed even the toilets . that went on for a while and cant have helped

“Yet as long as stuff’s on the shelf, people don’t seem to give a damn about us.”

My heart bleeds.

they have a very difficult time trying to cope with these city centres and traffic conditions . long hours and brexit queues did not help morale

I vividly recall going to a service station in lockdown and all the facilities were closed even the toilets . that went on for a while and cant have helped

I think covid restrictions have definitely been a factor in low morale, some European drivers refusing to take tests suddenly find themselves stuck on UK runs and earning less. I have sympathy for drivers but a stubborn attitude doesn't help. Customs processes were a big delay at the start of the year but run fairly smoothly now, usually with little delay to transit times.

The lack of facilities was exactly what I was thinking about. In Kent, a number of Lay-by and similar have been closed off. No facilities either...

Not exactly an attractive industry, so likely to struggle to get staff.

Improve pay and conditions and actually provide facilities. That's probably the best solution.

Perhaps when supplies of Prosecco and Champagne run dangerously low, some hearts will bleed.

Police, 0% pay rise and not allowed to strike. NHS, a slight softening this year but over-worked for decades. Etc.

Lorry drivers are looked after by maximum hours on the road. If they can’t work around that to make it a comfy job, fk em. They can go and sit next to each other on a dual carriageway at 56mph in another part of the world where they’ll be hugged and loved a lot more. Just like the rest of us are for just doing our jobs.

The delays at Dover are apparently increasing for truckers because tourists are now likely to take the route.

Can't see why - they'd have just carried on having a dump in a layby like they usually do...

Police, 0% pay rise and not allowed to strike. NHS, a slight softening this year but over-worked for decades. Etc.

Lorry drivers are looked after by maximum hours on the road. If they can’t work around that to make it a comfy job, fk em. They can go and sit next to each other on a dual carriageway at 56mph in another part of the world where they’ll be hugged and loved a lot more. Just like the rest of us are for just doing our jobs.

Completely agree with you on police and nursing/health care staff.

As for your other point, we're where we are precisely because people have decided (for various reasons) to drive somewhere else...

If anyone wants to improve pay and conditions, they have to fight for it. If you can't be arsed to fight then fk u but don't diss those who have more balls than you.

I always wondered what happened to the lorry drivers and what deal they must have negotiated, after striking when petrol was threatening a pound, yet now it's 1.30 and there had been no grumbling.

Perhaps when supplies of Prosecco and Champagne run dangerously low, some hearts will bleed.

Maybe they won't run out but it looks like it's resulting in higher costs being passed on to shoppers.

Interesting that Lidl are mentioned as being at the bottom of the list of companies hauliers want to work for - if they're the ones running out of loo roll it may not be because their customers hoarding them.

https://www.export.org.uk/news/5738...rice-rises-due-to-haulier-shortage-crisis.htm

The whataboutism is strong in this thread.

NHS staff work their arses off saving lives yet MPs get a whopping payrise and they get less than inflation.

Police do an unenviable task, and while I have no love for their attitude towards their public interactions, their budgets have been slashed and the role made largely impossible.

Truck drivers more than any profession have been at the sharp end of brexit and government created covid fuc-ery. Now they have to move aside for tourists? Wtf, there's no food on the shelves because holiday makers and bandwidth at ports, it's a 5hitshow of the government's making.

So yes, they all deserve working conditions and remuneration that reflects the essential service they provide. The government should be picking up the bill for all trucker covid tests and more.

The whataboutism is strong in this thread.

NHS staff work their arses off saving lives yet MPs get a whopping payrise and they get less than inflation.

Police do an unenviable task, and while I have no love for their attitude towards their public interactions, their budgets have been slashed and the role made largely impossible.

Truck drivers more than any profession have been at the sharp end of brexit and government created covid fuc-ery. Now they have to move aside for tourists? Wtf, there's no food on the shelves because holiday makers and bandwidth at ports, it's a 5hitshow of the government's making.

So yes, they all deserve working conditions and remuneration that reflects the essential service they provide. The government should be picking up the bill for all trucker covid tests and more.
I suppose government employees have the benefits of job for life, decent pay, excellent pensions and early retirement.

advertisement

Back