advertisement

Loricraft Style Plinth - Plans or build suggestions?

Pault73

pfm Member
I've just purchased a Garrard 301 and now looking forward to building it out...I've started to look out for a SME 3012, but also thinking of building a suitable plinth.

I've always liked the look of the Loricraft style plinths and have taken a fancy to the look of the new Garrard 301 plinth and ideally would like to build something similar.

My questions:
1/ Does anyone kindly have any Loricraft style plans that could be shared and I could build out from please?
2/ Does anyone have any suitable suggestions for a joiner/cabinet/plinth market that might be able to replicate something similar?

Thanks Paul

1.png

One key thing is to understand just how big the 301 hole is and how heavy it all is. You need some real structural integrity in front and behind to prevent the top-plate sagging over time. The Lorricraft 301-inspired plinth I had lacked this as the top-plate was too thin so over time it headed downwards in a Roksan style. I’d go for a nice thick chunk of high-quality ply and not try to make it too small. I can’t remember what Lorricraft used, but it was pretty thick, maybe 25mm. Alternatively maybe consider five or six suspension spheres, i.e. chuck one at the back and front of the 301. One in each corner may not be the most sensible answer to the problem.

Oxford is about 90mins away from me in Surrey.
The top plate on mine is 19mm birch ply made by Magna Audio when I changed arms from a Jelco to an Audio Note (Rega cutout). Its nice and strong and hasn't sagged at all.
I forgot to mention I also have the original factory 401 mounting template. I think this will work for the 301 as well but you'd need to check this. I'm sure someone on this forum could confirm this or not.

Hi Paul,
I've just realised you mentioned you were looking for an SME 3012. If so this would need a wider plinth than mine and more like the plinth in your picture above. Sorry as I should have realised this earlier.

Thanks again Graham, yes I would like the option of a 12" tonearm.

Thanks both the advice, definitely will go for some heavy ply.

Any build plans out there, please?

One key thing is to understand just how big the 301 hole is and how heavy it all is. You need some real structural integrity in front and behind to prevent the top-plate sagging over time. The Lorricraft 301-inspired plinth I had lacked this as the top-plate was too thin so over time it headed downwards in a Roksan style. I’d go for a nice thick chunk of high-quality ply and not try to make it too small. I can’t remember what Lorricraft used, but it was pretty thick, maybe 25mm. Alternatively maybe consider five or six suspension spheres, i.e. chuck one at the back and front of the 301. One in each corner may not be the most sensible answer to the problem.
I have a 401 in a Loricraft plinth and it is supported on 4 suspension spheres. It must be about 27 years old (at a guess) and there is not the slightest hint of sag.

I have had to endure a few minutes of piss take from the wife on this because I have been using feeler gauges and spirit levels to substantiate this fact. I just hope it is worth it.

The only thing I would add is definitely use sorbothane spheres rather than squash balls which compress fairly quickly and cause the record player to tilt quite badly.

searching around and thought I'd share this

301template-1Rs.jpg

More for a solid plinth and looks like it's set a 9" tonearm, but any thoughts on whether the above plinth length of 48cm (18.9") take a 12" arm? As it looks like a relative compact design to work from if it would

searching around and thought I'd share this

301template-1Rs.jpg

More for a solid plinth and looks like it's set a 9" tonearm, but any thoughts on whether the above plinth length of 48cm (18.9") take a 12" arm? As it looks like a relative compact design to work from if it would
No, not big enough for a 3012 arm...minimum 560mm wide and at least 420mm depth. A link here :

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
No, not big enough for a 3012 arm...minimum 560mm wide and at least 420mm depth. A link here :
Thanks Jan, perfect. I think I'm getting there...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back