advertisement

Looking to be educated on Avondale power supplies

Robbie Inglis

Hi, I haven’t found much info on the hierarchy of Avondale power supplies and their use-cases from a design criteria, so am looking to tap in to the combined knowledge of the PFM hive. I have email Les, but appreciate that email isn’t his first communication choice, and he has recently relocated.
What are the differences between the APX and TPX?
What other Avondale ps models were there?
What changes were implemented during the revisions of these etc.
Does the APX support / require the separation of the power and signal cables between the pre, APX, and power amp, which in my case is a NAP250 with Avondale HCC200, and NCC220.

this isn’t a random question, I am in the process of buying a APX to pair with a CB NAC62, as an alternative ti a Hi-cap. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance Rob

FYI, I installed an Avondale TPR4 in my CB Hicap and it was a huge step up for little money so might be interesting for you as well.
It preserved all the Naiminess of the sound, got rid of all the harshness, listener fatigue and made human voices sound like if they were in the room with me.
Can’t recommend this little upgrade enough !

FYI, I installed an Avondale TPR4 in my CB Hicap and it was a huge step up for little money so might be interesting for you as well.
It preserved all the Naiminess of the sound, got rid of all the harshness, listener fatigue and made human voices sound like if they were in the room with me.
Can’t recommend this little upgrade enough !
I agree, in a prior Naim rig, that’s exactly what I had, plus TP2 in the NAC62, and minicap6 in the NAP140. Was a delightful system, only sold to move up the Naim chain…not convinced my efforts were rewarded. So I’m thinking my current quest could be seen as “getting the band back together”

I agree, in a prior Naim rig, that’s exactly what I had, plus TP2 in the NAC62, and minicap6 in the NAP140. Was a delightful system, only sold to move up the Naim chain…not convinced my efforts were rewarded. So I’m thinking my current quest could be seen as “getting the band back together”
Might sound weird for some but I listen to music and enjoy more with my 32.5 with Neil Jadman’s boards/Hicap with TPR4/160 BD than on my more recent Naim kit based on a NAP 250.2.
The more recent kit is more hi-fi but the modified vintage one is more musical and lively.

I have an Avondale TPX1.5 power supply on my 72. I chose this over putting TPR4 regs in my old HiCap. It is connected to the 250 using the Avondale recommended connection, keeping signal and power totally separate. The 72 has the Avondale 821A boards installed, and the 250 has the Qudos and HCR200 boards installed. I firmly believe this set up is a match for, if not better than the current 282/HiCapDR/250DR. Cabling is WitchHat Morgana and Phantom.

Might sound weird for some but I listen to music and enjoy more with my 32.5 with Neil Jadman’s boards/Hicap with TPR4/160 BD than on my more recent Naim kit based on a NAP 250.2.
The more recent kit is more hi-fi but the modified vintage one is more musical and lively.
I agree with your observations. I had NAC82 snaps and hi-cap, with the NAP250, all Olive casework. And migrating back to a Chrome Bumper set up. Your power amp, is my ideal, however being located in New Zealand, my options are pretty much limited to buying overseas and importing.

I agree with your observations. I had NAC82 snaps and hi-cap, with the NAP250, all Olive casework. And migrating back to a Chrome Bumper set up. Your power amp, is my ideal, however being located in New Zealand, my options are pretty much limited to buying overseas and importing.
I'm in Canada and it took me more than a year to find a 160 working on 115 volts ! And the seller was 10 minutes away from me at that !
Well worth the wait though.

I think that Avondale power supplies are great. I use multiple TPX1's in the active system downstairs & a TPR4 Hi-Cap in the office system upstairs; well recommended.

Last edited:
I think that Avondale power supplies are great. I use multiple TPX1's in the active system downstairs & a TPR4 Hi-Cap in the office system upstairs; well recommended.
Thanks for that, do you by chance have a spec sheet / brochure for the TPX? Just wanting to build up my understanding

Doesn't sound at all strange to me!!
But I've made my views on this subject amply know...:rolleyes:

I think the TPX 1.5 was the last one as it used the TPR-Z board with caps and regs on the one board, just add a transformer
TPX 2 is a bit special and well worth seeking out so am told

advertisement

Back