advertisement

Looking for jazz recommendations (specific to trumpet with mute)

snaphappybob

pfm Member
Ok I'm not a jazz aficionado, I do own A kind of Blue but then who doesn't.
Just listening to Lana Del Ray's new album Blue Banisters and track 6 'If you lie down with me' finishes off with a fabulous, let's call it jazz exit. So I know nothing about jazz but if someone could give it a listen and point me towards artist/albums that make extensive use of the whole brass trumpet with a mute I would be grateful.
Cheers
Rob

Try the first Ella & Armstrong album, he plays mute behind her when she sings, wonderful. If you want to hear the instrument at its finest then you need to hear Armstrong from the 50s. ‘Satch Plays Fats’ is probably my favourite & he makes other players sound like amateurs.

https://www.discogs.com/master/369395-The-Art-Farmer-Quintet-Blame-It-On-My-Youth

R-2990334-1540561637-4983.jpeg.jpg

Miles Someday My Prince Will Come is essential here. The best mute trumpet ever recorded to my mind, he’s just right there in front of you.

Someday My Prince Will Come is great but I've always had a soft spot for Miles Smiles, and Circle in particular being the mute trumpet track of choice. The closing few notes never fail to give me goosebumps!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
One more from me, then I'll shut up! Listening to the Lana del Rey track, this sounds like a plunger... in which case try Black and Tan Fantasy or The Mooche (various recordings by Duke Ellington, e.g. Live at Newport, Armstrong/Ellington, Live at the Blue Note). The Armstrong Ellington recordings are just great, total classics! Also Clark Terry (one of the trumpeters in the two live albums here) is awesome, also check out Oscar Peterson Trio Plus One with Terry, (e.g. Brotherhood of Man, Mack the Knife, Squeaky's Blues) which is a really accessible and kicking album.

Scratch that, totally forgot about the Clark Terry & Bob Brookmeyer Quintet - great recordings, e.g. Battle Hymn of the Republic, The King, Mood Indigo.

advertisement

Back