advertisement

Looking for good but not exorbitantly costly 6922 and ECC83

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
My preamp tube set seems to be in need of replacement - getting occasional squealing on one channel which has changed sides with the channel inversion of the tubes.

Advice about good quality but relatively affordable 6922 and ECC83 would be welcome.
The same goes for suggestions about reliable suppliers - preferably in Europe since i live in France and parcels from the States etc get hit with import duties etc.

I've used hot Rox in the past or Watford valves.. Always very competitive price wise and you may get some tasty nos ones from Watford if you have the money ...

Thanks

After some swapping around I have reached the conclusion that the problem is one of the pair of 6922 - the occasional squeal and more hiss than its counterpart.

In the past i have not been impressed by the microphony of Philips Jan 6922, the ones in place are Eloctro Harmonix

Any suggestions?

If you are looking for a cheap ECC83 that is pretty decent then I'd recommend the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. It is a decent sounding tube even when compared to upmarket NOS and is the only current production ECC83 I've heard that I've any time for. I still prefer vintage Mullards, Brimars, RCAs etc, but they are a lot dearer!

As to the 9622 it's not a tube I've much experience with, but (IIRC) being a US military spec I'd be amazed if you could beat original US production (RCA, GE, Sylvania etc). In fact I bet your Philips is a re-badged Sylvania as IIRC Philips actually bought Sylvania to get the US defence contract! I'd definitely go NOS on these. Have a read on the tube asylum section of AudioAsylum, tons of good tube info there.

Not much better than the US but eskimofridge on that auction site has cheap valves which have stood me fine. I like too rolling but don't want to spend a fortune.

At their prices, I can't see that the duty you pay (if any) would exceed what you save by buying from them. I've had impeccable service.

Worth a go?

Peter

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have about a dozen unused NOS 12AX7LPS if you're interested.

Try some Ei Yugoslavian NOS ECC83. They are relatively cheap and you can get them at JAC MUSIC.

Try some Ei Yugoslavian NOS ECC83.

I've a few of those, they are very decent, the silver plates sound much nicer than the grey plates to my ears, though finding quiet ones is a bit of a challenge. I nearly recommended them earlier, but the risk of noise/microphonics made me hold back.

Thanks

After some swapping around I have reached the conclusion that the problem is one of the pair of 6922 - the occasional squeal and more hiss than its counterpart.

In the past i have not been impressed by the microphony of Philips Jan 6922, the ones in place are Eloctro Harmonix

Any suggestions?

For a super quiet tube it's hard to go past the Sovtec 6992, I have tried many others in the phono stage of a pre I sometimes use but always come back to the Sovtec. Your choice can expand for the line stage (is this the 83?) Ei. Tungstrom or even good Chinese. One other you may consider is the Australian AWA, if available in Europe, some of the Japanese tubes can be very good, again if available.
Happy hunting,
Errol

I've a few of those, they are very decent, the silver plates sound much nicer than the grey plates to my ears, though finding quiet ones is a bit of a challenge. I nearly recommended them earlier, but the risk of noise/microphonics made me hold back.

Thanks Tony
Noise is the issue with the present rogue tube

advertisement

Back