advertisement

Looking for a new TT

izumrudy

pfm Member
Hey guys,

I currently find myself listening to vinyl more and more. I went so far that my CDP and DAC are now stored in the spare bedroom =)

My current analogue set up is a Technics SL 1200 Mark 2 with Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. The deck is sitting on ISONOE feet and its arm is rewired with silver cable. I'm also using solid silver core ICs and power cord.

It sounds really fabulous but I still think that I could get more of the cartridge with a somehow better TT...

Unfortunately I will not have the chance to make any auditions so I will kindly ask for you help & suggestions. I would like to spend around 1.2K GBP for a TT + Arm. An easier set up will be a nice bonus as well. I don't mind buying 2nd hand.

Waiting for your suggestions =)

Cheers,
Rudy

Bought a recent SH Gyro SE and it sounds great with a Nima and AT33PTG. Mind you I've also enjoyed hearing a Garrard 401 and an LP12 with the same arm and cartrridge. They all sound lovely but each has a different signature. I'd guess that of these the Gyro is closest to what was recorded and once set up it is easy to use.

Rudy,

Perhaps you can describe what you prioritise in terms of sound?

I recall, from your system photos, you have quite a unique (bespoke?) system, valve amps (possibly OTL) with single driver loudspeakers. Can you describe the system's qualities? ...trying to think what will not work against your system's qualities is difficult.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Rudy, with your budget you may get a secondhand Rega P9 with RB1000 arm which should meet your easy set up requirement. As always make sure you listen to these things yourself so you know it works for you.

Rudy,

Perhaps you can describe what you prioritise in terms of sound?

I recall, from your system photos, you have quite a unique (bespoke?) system, valve amps (possibly OTL) with single driver loudspeakers. Can you describe the system's qualities? ...trying to think what will not work against your system's qualities is difficult.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Dear Andrew,

Thank you very much for that question =)

The other elements of the system are: passive attenuator -> valve (ГУ-50) SET power amp -> backloaded horns with full range drivers (kinda crazy 96dB/1W/1m/ with average frequency 37Hz 20kHz). All the cabling (ICs & power cords) is silver solid core. As one can imagine the system is very, very transparent, with I would say close to 0 colouration).

Maybe this is reason why I really fell in love with the vinyl sound. Even with the Technics the vinyl ads something magical to the music. You just hear more things, actually not things but more music. During the last few weeks I've gone trough my vinyl collection (from Sepultura to Ben Harper to Ravel). Everything sounded right, so I bought a few records (some new, some 2nd hand).

On every new record I play I'm getting more & more addicted and just want to hear more albums.

I guess that helped a bit to understand what I'm looking for. Or maybe I've just made you loose a minute of your time... =)

Cheers,
Rudy

advertisement

Back