advertisement

looking for a new tonearm....origin live ?

innuendo

pfm Member
Long story...
Sold my Hadcock 242 that had been a beautiful match with Decca sc4e.
Trying not to go back as always found it a bit of a faff,and fancied something little sexier to go in my rega mount hole on my Garroard 301 plinth.
So a relatively posh Origin live sprang to mind.
Just wondered anyone had any experiences of these tonearms or similar at realistic money.... ( yeah I know what is that, but thought I'd let you decide)

I have had a stock rega RB250, OL modded Rega RB250, and I now have a OL silver, I think it is the MK3. It is a great tonearm and a great value. It has a floating bearing. It is a no brainer upgrade over a rega arm. It tracks well, has really solid bass and I have no complaints. Is use it with a grace F14

I have had a stock rega RB250, OL modded Rega RB250, and I now have a OL silver, I think it is the MK3. It is a great tonearm and a great value. It has a floating bearing. It is a no brainer upgrade over a rega arm. It tracks well, has really solid bass and I have no complaints. Is use it with a grace F14
Yea.... If you are shopping that range, I think the silver really stands out for value. Looks good too!

I'm looking for a new tonearm to replace a Hadcock 242 as well, though it doesn't have to fit an existing arm board.
I did take a look at the Origin Live arms but found they didn't really appeal to me.

I have an Origin Live Onyx with upgraded wiring with an ortofon 2m black on it.

It tracks very well, and I have no need to change it

I'm looking for a new tonearm to replace a Hadcock 242 as well, though it doesn't have to fit an existing arm board.
I did take a look at the Origin Live arms but found they didn't really appeal to me.
Is your 242 still around ?

Talk Edwards A600 rega mtg , carbon fibre captive Unipivot 600quid

01-nov-2019-hfn-live-show-2019-g4.jpg

Have you considered an Audiomods arm; much better bang for your buck and I have one for sale . . .

If I was buying an arm right now I'd just buy a Rega RB2000 as I know they're good and you can pick them up for decent money. However...

If I was putting an arm on a Garrard I'd be tempted to try and find an arm that better matches with the vintage aesthetic. Also, if you liked the unipivot you might not be so keen on some of these alternatives as nothing sounds like a unipivot except another unipivot.

You could give Johnnie at Audio Origami a call? He designed an arm called the Uni-arm, however you spell it, which Roxsan bought the rights to and now sell. He might have one for sale and he'll be able to give you advice on the relative merits of the other contenders.

advertisement

Back