advertisement

"look behind you!"

docstocker

pfm Member
I have started cycling again after a long break and I am finding I am feeling very vulnerable about what is coming up behind me, both cyclists and motorists. (my wife and children would say that I am also vulnerable to overtaking pedestrians)

Part of the problem is that with a bad neck I have to sit up very straight to look behind me, utilising thoracic turn as well as cervical. This seems to take a long time to do while another vehicle is approaching and leaves me more vulnerable to wobbling into the path of an overtaker.

Any advice? I have ordered a little peddler spectacles/helmet mirror.(sorry Tony, don't know how to link to this on Amazon) What about handlebar mirrors for drop handlebar bikes or is there a hi tech backward facing go-pro type camera to an iPhone on the handlebars?

On a separate matter does anyone know of an effective reliable handlebar mount for an iPhone (6 or 7plus)?

Hope someone can help.
John

I have used these for over 20 years: BUSCH AND MULLER Handlebar Mirror - other suppliers are available.

I find riding without a mirror very scary. These little B&M mirrors can be used on almost any bike; on a Brompton I have it set under the handlebars so it doesn't interfere with the fold. A quick glance in the mirror will give you a sense of what is going on and if there are any moving vehicles in your proximity etc.

Here is a review of a Garmin rear radar. this will do exactly what you want but and its a very big but, it's not in anyway cheap. This only works with a Garmin GPS device so you'll need to buy both the Garmin GPS thing if you dont possess one, as well as the radar itself. I'm not sure which GPS models work with the radar but I know not all do. The GPS thing is very useful of itself but both together is a significant outlay.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/garmin-varia-radar-review.html

There are loads of reviews of this device which should at least give you something to get started as there may be competitors/similar products which I'm unaware of.

And I'm sure you don't but please whatever you do don't wear headphones when riding!

Rob.

Is it for commuting?

I don't get leisure road biking when trail riding is an option. I was doing 10mph as a race passed me on the other side of the road yesterday in East Yorkshire. Someone still thought it too fast and shouted at me. Clearly he felt threatened.

Also keen to see any suggestions for iphone mounts. They need to be suspended ones for me, and in a water resistant sleeve / box. I've just got back from 2 days trail riding in the lakes to find my phone no longer does mobile, only wifi now. I blame the extreme jolting. Tempted with this, as it also lets me put my second battery in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XYQW57B/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is it for commuting?

I don't get leisure road biking when trail riding is an option. I was doing 10mph as a race passed me on the other side of the road yesterday in East Yorkshire. Someone still thought it too fast and shouted at me. Clearly he felt threatened.

I don't understand - a cyclist shouted at you for going too fast while cycling?

(Apologies, probably some obvious reason but I don't know anything about cycling.)

I don't understand - a cyclist shouted at you for going too fast while cycling?

(Apologies, probably some obvious reason but I don't know anything about cycling.)

No I was in the car, other side of the road doing 10mph because unfortunately a handful of the cyclists coming the other way, were trying to overtake each other and the road was only about 12 feet wide. Presumably they were cycling dangerously to try to get a better final position in the race, which leads to the question, how are these races legal? They seem spend most of their time with their bottoms in the air, looking at the ground more than what is ahead. There must have been 500 of them or more. It went on for about 20 minutes. I didn't shout at anyone. Yet I got shouted at. It seems to me the single track and green lanes are the right place for bicycle races. Or at least roads of a certain width, so they can do their overtaking while staring at the ground a bit more safely.

I shit myself just riding to Sainsbury's for a loaf of bread.

Rear visibility on a bike is very tough. To my mind the best approach is to ensure you are very visible to other road users, e.g. I now don't cycle without good bright flashing lights front and rear even in daylight, I also try to wear something bright even though it is right against my personal taste/character. I've never tried mirrors or anything, though certainly look back before changing lane, passing parked cars or anything. I indicate too. Even so some idiots whizz past leaving just cms of space.

PS For lights I'd happily recommend this Moon Nebula front and rear set. Great quality, great fittings, variable from bright enough to retina-frying and USB chargable. I have two sets, one for the road bike, the other for the MTB.

Could one hope that it would be used for navigation purposes only? :confused:
oh yes!
Ears are already filled up with hearing aids! Although the wind noise can be deafening, nearly as bad as eating a bag of crisps, but with time I am becoming more in tune with my hearing aids.
And the last thing I want to get when out on my bike is a phone call.
I am amazed at the Garmin Varia Radar.
Sounds like this might be a good albeit expensive option. I was planning to use iPhone for navigation and had in mind that a rear facing camera linked to iPhone screen might do the trick. But suspect that electronics and connections might mean more time fiddling with bike and much less time pedalling.

Have a bike peddleler (pedalled?)mirror on order and will let everyone know how that goes.

I am now looking at the joint costs of a garmin `GPS ' and the rear view radar.
I know it is not a substitute for looking but might just allow a bit more time to react and take avoidance action. Anyone already using one?
John
PS seems we have come along way since just jumping on the bike to go off exploring

I have used these for over 20 years: BUSCH AND MULLER Handlebar Mirror - other suppliers are available.

I find riding without a mirror very scary. These little B&M mirrors can be used on almost any bike; on a Brompton I have it set under the handlebars so it doesn't interfere with the fold. A quick glance in the mirror will give you a sense of what is going on and if there are any moving vehicles in your proximity etc.

B+M have a great range of mirrors. I use one of their bar end mirrors on my drop bar bike. I have the 50mm but the 80mm size might be worth considering.

Some cyclists even have problems seeing what's in front let alone behind :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, when I was in MAG, and a particular cyclist's organisation was trying to stop motorbikes being allowed in cycle lanes, it was pointed out that statistically by far most cycle collisions were with 4 (or more) wheeled vehicles, followed by stationary objects, other cyclists and motorcyclists last. But as pedestrians are almost as oblivious as cyclists to other road users, get a bell as well as a mirror. The number of dozy pedestrians who will walk out in front of you without looking is almost up there with the number of cyclists who think the rules of the road don't apply to them. Including 30mph speed limits!
And I even had a foot operated bell on my longboard for waking up pedestrians when I used to skate around the shops. :D

There was a case where a cyclist going with their head down run into a car parked in a cycle lane tried to sue the driver. As there were no yellow lines the judge ruled that the cyclist had a duty to look where they were going!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a case where a cyclist going with their head down run into a car parked in a cycle lane tried to sue the driver. As there were no yellow lines the judge ruled that the cyclist had a duty to look where they were going!!

This does not surprise me about road cyclists. Go on a trail and they are all so much more relaxed and less aggressive. I do a lot of motorcycle trail riding. We get on fine. It's all smiles and advice about routes etc. They're all so much more chilled when the threat of being killed by a car is not there.

I still don't get why people road cycle for sport. It does not offer any more by way of scenery that a car or motorbike cannot. It offers less by way of scenery than a mountain bike can. The surface is really not varied like mountain biking is. You might get killed by a car. You don't get any fitter than if you go mountain biking. What are the pros, please?

advertisement

Back