advertisement

Longest lasting ebay listing?

kevinrt

pfm Member
I can’t be certain but I reckon this listing has been on ebay for for over 15 years ( is there a way to find out?). I think it was there when I first heard of Avondale around 2006.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Reactions: irb
I cannot understand people who list items forever at fixed prices which no-one is prepared to pay! My watch list is mostly items that get relisted ad infinitum - morbid curiosity…. I get that it can be worth relisting a couple of times, but for months and years?!

1) if you do not know how much something is worth, auction it.
2) If you can’t bear to let it go for less than £nnn, put a reasonable reserve on it (or let eBay price it for you, they know way more about its value over time than you do).
3) If it still does not sell, you have either over-estimated its value, or you don’t actually want to sell it.
4) If you do think you know how much the item is worth (fixed price) and it doesn’t sell, you do not know how much it is worth, go to point 1)

I notice lots of small “business” sellers do the “insane fixed price” thing. No wonder they are small - they must tie-up so much cash in unsold stock.

The fact that eBay tolerates this is one of its biggest failings IMV. It has now become the repository of all overpriced second hand crap.

I can understand that for new item retail there is a price but a second hand anything is worth whatever anybody is willing to pay.

They badly need to separate it into two different business streams - "retail" for retail sellers only offering full mail order protection and guarantees & "boot sale" offering only the auction format for non trade sellers.

The charging structures also need to be different, with a payment just to list.

Last edited:
This is one, for example that I've been watching for some time and has been listed since 12th June 2021 & currently has 25 days to run on the same listing.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There are a couple of adverts for Horning Agalme speakers that have been running for a fair old while. Basically a dispute with Mr Horning posing as a for sale item, so won't paste the actually link.

That Akiva, lol. With the price of a retip these days it's worth less than half that.

The Excel mc for £200 that appears under it is a steal though.

That Akiva, lol. With the price of a retip these days it's worth less than half that.

The Excel mc for £200 that appears under it is a steal though.
It is surprising how long some people will hang out for a hopeful price. All these years later it is worth even less - well much less as you say.

None the wiser, can't see a start time anywhere!
Musical-fidelity.jpg

I had that exact model with Les's mods many years ago, and I think I had it serviced by him IIRC. It was a fine pre-amp, but respectfully not such that I would want £555 in today's money.

advertisement

Back