advertisement

Longdog PSU?

BLACKMASS

pfm Member
Had a brief listen to a LDA PSU a couple of weeks ago on a Well Tempered deck a few weeks back.
Just wondered what folks experiences of their products have been like long term?

Cheers
Rob

No experience of the Longdog but I had a conversation with John Burns at Pear Audio (UK distributor) regarding the upgraded WT power supply and his advice was to stick with the standard one on my Versalex?

Nick's a solid designer and makes a lot of PSU's under his own brand and for MCRU.

That said. Adding a stiff regulated psu to a bare turntable motor really doesn't bring much to the party. The UK mains is stiff and generally very tight on frequency and that's what drives an AC motor. I'd hold out for a PSU that creates a new, adjustable frequency to drive the motor and offers speed adjustment and some form of speed correction via feedback. That'll be a step-up in performance.

No experience of the Longdog but I had a conversation with John Burns at Pear Audio (UK distributor) regarding the upgraded WT power supply and his advice was to stick with the standard one on my Versalex?

I went for a demo of the Versalex a couple of weeks back. The dealer said the same thing about the WT 'upgraded' power supply.
I had a brief listen to the LDA PSU and there was a definite change in presentation. TBH I was more than happy with the power supply which already comes with it. Only having a brief listen to the LDA PSU I just wondered what other people's impressions were?

I have one connected to my Rega TT-PSU. I bought this used and at first was sceptical it would make any difference. I was wrong, is not night and day difference but even with my old pair of cloth ears I could tell that there were improvements like cymbals were clearer and less smearing and overall sound was tighter. Things like PSU I guess would depend on the quality of the mains so my experience may well be different in another installation.

Nick's a solid designer and makes a lot of PSU's under his own brand and for MCRU.

That said. Adding a stiff regulated psu to a bare turntable motor really doesn't bring much to the party. The UK mains is stiff and generally very tight on frequency and that's what drives an AC motor. I'd hold out for a PSU that creates a new, adjustable frequency to drive the motor and offers speed adjustment and some form of speed correction via feedback. That'll be a step-up in performance.

The Well Tempered uses a DC motor.

advertisement

Back