advertisement

london decca super gold

the decca c4e is here but can only get a mono sound out of it ! also very bad for RF and hum ! I have wired it red to right white to left green and blue need to be joined together in the earth pin to get both channels working but still not stereo ! can anyone help ?

Given you are getting mono and a lot of hum is there a chance you've got the signals and earths reversed somewhere?

i have red lead to right positive white to left positive also green/blue need to be both on the single earth tag if not one loudspeaker just hums..

i have red lead to right positive white to left positive also green/blue need to be both on the single earth tag if not one loudspeaker just hums..

That is certainly correct, though have you double checked the headshell leads are in right/the arm wiring is right, e.g. do you get continuity from the red and white leads to the centre pin of the RCA sockets? A bit of a long shot admittedly, but I've seen headshell leads installed incorrectly before now, and that would give the symptoms you describe. Beyond that I'm running out of ideas I'm afraid. What is the arm and phono stage?

If it's unused since refurb then it should be perfect.

But I wonder if the plastic cap is over the right pin? That being wrong would cause bizarre effects, the pictures in the EBay listing and the pictures at http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/giovanni_xxiv/55271251.html might suggest that.

Perhaps a successful user could confirm.

Whether you need both blue and green connected to the common pin will be dependent on your phono preamp. I would expect it to be necessary.

Paul

Here are some pics of my Decca C4E mounted on my Hadcock 228. Please note that I had J7 at Audio Origami rewire my Hadcock specifically for use with Deccas, so that the ground wires are fitted to a common cartridge tag.

One thing that is odd is the SC4E has been relisted by the same seller here. Same pictures, same invoice number from the rebuilder. I guess he may have more than one and have been too lazy to photograph both, but a little odd.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Crap ??!! .So I can believe that you simply assume I created the points I have stated?

I did not invent them. I am only relating vivid comments printed ( that stick in the mind from trade mags of the past)

Perhaps you place yourself higher than the various respected technical critics that happened to "once-" I emphasise the word for a reason for when ....THERE WERE REAL TECHNICAL CRITICS. Who noticed just a few annoying things about the continuing series that make up Decca cartridges. And yes the same experts printed tech read - out photos and figures, obtained from testing. Publishing the results , to back up the claims they made.
It was not like the present,:where '-in - fashion coffee table likes & dislikes are the peak of judgemental criteria.

Decca's cartridge design -by today's standards - is now lumbering & primitive / and , is clumsy in execution .
Additionally , to put it bluntly : for any interest in these 'alleged Hi Fi vinyl playing - needle boxes' : a lingering number of misguided people are required to play around continually, and convince themselves , they are the nirvana of vinyl playing.

To others wiser, they simply remind : "As if some kid got a similar idea...then using a square block, drove a roofing nail through it"

Remember there are '"suckers born every spin of a vinyl recording

Wow Musicfreak wish I had your ability to recall vivid printed comments from hi fi mags of the past I canny remember what i had for tea Noo wheres ma hammer

One thing that is odd is the SC4E has been relisted by the same seller here. Same pictures, same invoice number from the rebuilder. I guess he may have more than one and have been too lazy to photograph both, but a little odd.
The invoice refers to work on 3 different C4E carts.

Seller looks a little slapdash though, given the amounts of cash being asked for. I would think an enquiry with John Wright himself might be useful.

Paul

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have had Golds, Blues and other assorted Deccas. See post 29 for a sample.

They are excellent cartridges by any standard but do have their quirks.

... I have a Garrot Brothers London Decca gold cartridge with a Weinz micro scanner stylus. Does anybody have one of these and what are your thoughts? Here is a Ken Kessler review from 1983 ... http://www.kenkessler.com/hi-fi/garrott-decca-cartridge/ and http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/deccalondon_e.html (2004)

I have one from my time working with KK at Canterbury HiFi. excellent cartridge and a real tragedy about the Garrott Brothers' joint suicide with their wives (who were also sisters).

thanks for the good response lads..I have spoken to the seller he thinks it is faulty so is happy to refund me.

I have one from my time working with KK at Canterbury HiFi. excellent cartridge and a real tragedy about the Garrott Brothers' joint suicide with their wives (who were also sisters).
... do you currently use/play it? What do you like most about the Garrot Brothers London Decca gold cartridge?

... yes, a real tragedy!

... do you currently use/play it? What do you like most about the Garrot Brothers London Decca gold cartridge?

... yes, a real tragedy!

My Garrott Gold has hardly been used since a retip by John Wright. I had a new fine line tip (as JW didn't have access to Paratrace tips at the time and the stock of Weinz Parabolics was finished). I don't use it at the moment, as I use my Decca FFSS MkIV C4E (rebuilt by JW with a fine line tip) on my Hadcock.

The Garrott Gold is very good, but the MkIV is better IMO.

IIRC the Garrott 'Microscanner' Decca Gold used a MicroLine (aka Microridge) tip profile.

The old original Decca Super Gold I had in the 80s used a VDH Type 1 profile.
I never found the later Super Golds as good and by that time the VDH had gone to be replaced with a more standard line contact profile. Tracing was definitely inferior.

Wow Musicfreak wish I had your ability to recall vivid printed comments from hi fi mags of the past I canny remember what i had for tea Noo wheres ma hammer

Some people have the 'gift' of uncanny recall : able to relate accurately time/date /person/ place - even to the most related trivial associated detail connected to such things , spanning back 5 or 6 decades . Where the mind acts as an automated instant - reacting, indexed filing cabinet . Whether it is past incidents, experiences, social encounters, or read detail, I find it it not something to gloat or skite about. Personally I find having such an ability , ( accepted by trained professionals ) more a annoying curse to possess.
Imgine yourself, being in such a situation what it is like : talking to a person who is relating their past thoughts on a particular situation that you both experienced , in the past.
With this strange accurate 'recall' , you can be forced at times, to compare the jarring differences that you denote in the friend/or acquaintance's memory version of the same event. Then one automatically wonders and inwardly questions the degree and reasons for the disparity. Quickly forgetting that their recall would be considered most likely "normal"- in any case.

advertisement

Back