advertisement

Local Vinyl Fair finds

DevillEars

Dedicated ignorer of fashion
A couple of weeks back, at our local vinyl fair, four albums accounted for my budget but - due to health issues - sat awaiting the attention of the RCM.

This past Wednesday saw opportunity and energy combine and these four were duly cleaned and played...

The first was an almost mint pressing of Chet Baker's 'She Was Too Good To Me' - one of those Creed Taylor productions with an ad hoc set of musicians including, in addition to Mr. Baker on trumpet, Paul Desmond on alto sax, Bob James on electric piano, Ron Carter on bass, Hubert Laws on flute, and Steve Gadd on drums. Interestingly, Chet Baker also handles vocals on a couple of tracks. Creed Taylor produced a number of these 'people compilation' albums with a number of lead artists and all have been very listenable (notably Jim Hall's 'Concierto' which contains one of the most enjoyable jazz interpretations of Rodrigo's 'Concierto de Aranjuez').

Next was a very good condition original Atlantic pressing of 'Herbie Mann at the Village Gate' - one of those rare jazz albums that - back in the mid-to-late 1960s - found favour among the student rock fans while I was at university. My original album is now so knackered as to be unplayable, so this replacement plugs that gap rather nicely.

Tom Scott's 'Blow It Out' (from his non-LA Express period) is another one of those largish combo albums with the characteristic sax playing that always appealed.

The fourth album was gap-filler for me - 'Kilimanjaro' by The Rippingtons. I've long admired Russ Freeman's guitar playing and his early albums usually featured 2-3 really great numbers (while the rest were a bit 'average'). I now have most of these early albums.

Not a bad outing's find given the budget being limited to a maximum of the equivalent of 30 quid...

Pick of the four has to be the Chet Baker album (it's on the LP12 as I type). :)

Dave

advertisement

Back