advertisement

Local stacked ESL demo night....

That’s clippin’.

If so and on digital maybe of the 44 if it was an early one. Pre-grey Quad preamps can be a tad startled by the 2V signal unless its going through the tape input, plus the way the gain staging works in the 44 & 34 (as I understand it) it gets worse as the volume control is advanced, i.e. its more complex than just clipping the input stage.

I actually bought a new 44 pre. to power my RCA mono's back in the day, having had its awful predecessor. Yes, the 44 was dull as ditchwater, as I discovered. It disappeared in a house move a few years later, so it wasn't even reliable enough to stay around !

I'm surprised, like you, that such crappy amplification could produce such a result.

Sorry, but you must have missed the :) and all of the ' '

I looked up that singer and listened at home, and I definitely don’t get the same sense of being at a performance, sadly. About 90% certain it’s down to room size/type, but also I felt the stacked Quads imaged better. I’m telling myself it’s due to various reflections that I don’t get in my (much more heavily damped) room. Or maybe I just still hold a candle for ESLs…. :)

I have a pair of stacked quads just sitting here ,not used for 6 months

£600you can have them i need the space:)

I have a pair of stacked quads just sitting here ,not used for 6 months

£600you can have them i need the space:)
You say you need the space but £600 for TWO pairs of working 57s seems insanely cheap. Are you feeling ok?! :confused::D

One thing I could potentially do is borrow the stacked pair and try them chez JTC :)

On paper the Luxman should be more than up to the job but nothing like an actual test to be sure….

I assume you’d just bi-amp them, as in this case. There were two 303s, each driving two ESLs.

In series doesn’t make sense I think.

JTC mentioned his Luxman so I presumed he was contemplating driving both pairs from that. I don't think this would be a good idea in conventional parallel wiring due to the 57's impedance curve. Wiring in series would present an easier/safer load to the amp but would presumably half its maximum output power. I suspect bi-amping would be the best way to go.

Well, I went from stacked 57s to 63s and never regretted it. Still have 63s and a single pair of 57s in storage.

This thread is a nightmare. I am v happy with my 63s but I have started measuring my room for the size of stacked 57s and I’ve never even heard a set.

advertisement

Back